Ron, George, Maggie Jo & Today

When I was still living at the apartment complex, I let a young man named Ron crash on my couch for several months

When I was still living at the apartment complex, I let a young man named Ron crash on my couch for several months. He was a friend of a friend and down on his luck. Turns out he was an alcoholic and addicted to opiates. In December of that year he came home with a young woman he had met at the convenience store gas station. He asked if she could stay until the first of the year. They became boyfriend and girlfriend. Trina woke me up at 1:30 Christmas morning. Ron was out cold in the bathroom. She had given him heroin. I knew nothing about that horrible drug. I called 911, and they took him to the hospital to save his life. The next day he went off on me. He accused me of attempting to seduce Trina, which was a fabrication of his mind. Opiates. I kicked him out. The first week of January she asked if I could help out two of her friends. This is when George and Maggie Jo came into my life. Today they're both 51. At that time, they had been a couple for several years. Trina left a week later.

They had been living with a man who hadn't paid the rent and were evicted. George is a very gifted carpenter and an excellent guitar player, Maggie Jo didn't work. They were both heroin addicts, which they told me after the first night. I'm a decent judge of character and liked the two of them from the start. We were always honest with one another and seldom fought. They're both highly intelligent and had traveled with the Grateful Dead until Jerry died.

I was working full-time in the cellular industry and had started collecting social security. I became what is called an enabler. George had no full-time employment and only worked 2 jobs as long as I knew him. Maggie Jo would go to major retailers and "boost", i.e. shoplift, to support their habit. They shot up every day. We lived together in my single-bedroom apartment for 5 years. I would loan them money periodically which I kept track of in my phone. Early in our relationship, George built a deck and paid me back the dollars I had loaned them. So I had no problem loaning them money as I couldn't stand seeing them dope sick. I never charged them anything to live with me. One evening George "fell out". He had accidentally taken fentanyl. I wanted to call 911. Maggie Jo said, "No! We can save him." She was throwing water at him, and I was hitting him so hard, that I was afraid of breaking his sternum. After 10 minutes or so, he came out of it. We saved his life.

We were evicted for failure to pay rent and I lost my car. They ended up owing me over $5000. Their addiction eventually cost me everything I owned. I truly harbor no ill will towards them. I helped them because this is my nature. I know as we give, we are given too. It's just "stuff" anyway. We experienced good fortune at that time, George's father was quite well-off financially and bought the home George had grown up in. His parents were divorced, and his mother had moved into a condo. His dad only charged us $500 a month. This was a nice home. Big front porch, completely furnished, two bedrooms, huge backyard, and a double garage. I paid the rent. Our section of the neighborhood was pleasant, three blocks down it was a ghetto. I had my own room and plenty of space. I watched numerous movies on my cell phone. I was working full-time and started collecting social security, I either walked 45 minutes to work or took a bus. The place turned into a crack house after we had lived there a month. I tried crack several times but couldn't see paying for it, it was too expensive. If it was offered, I accepted. I did a little, not much.