𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟏

Faizan

“There's my boy,” Farhan says with a grin on his face as he walks in my office.

“Do you have a problem with knocking on the door?” I ask.

“Best friends don't ask for permission,” he says then plops on the chair across from me, “so, how was the meet up yesterday? Are you in love?”

I frown, “how does one interaction make me in love?”

“Technically, there have been more than one interaction between you and bhabhi. Yesterday was one in which you two properly talked and didn't force anyone to talk for you.”

I roll my eyes, “that was one time and get over it.”

“You owe me.”

“Whatever-”

“I'm serious, Faizan.” Farhan says, firmly, “in the future, I might need you to do something you probably won't approve of but I will still need your approval.”

I stare at him for a second, “What are you planning?”

“I'm in the process of my plans and hopefully the outcome will come out sooner or later,”

“What process?”

“Just promise me, you'll do it.”

“Okay. Promise.”

His body relaxes, “thank you,”

“Are you going to tell me?”

He smiles, “you will have to wait.” I frown and he changes the subject, “anyways, so, when is the nikkah? Do you want me to start making invitations? I'll meet with your mama to plan the guest list and erase every annoying aunty.”

“She hasn't told me her answer yet,” I say.

“Why would she say no? You're my best friend-” I raise an eyebrow, “I mean, you're a very great man, very successful, very handsome, healthy-”

“Enough.”

“Geez.”

I shake my head and turn my attention back to my laptop. He stays quiet for a while but then asks a question.

“Are you going to invite them?”

My movement comes to a halt at the question. I look up at him before I answer.

“No.”

“Okay.”

The question was coming sooner or later. If Farhan hadn't asked then either mama or baba would, or even Zahid.

The silence in the office breaks when my phone starts ringing. Both of us look at the caller ID and find Saeed's name.

“Oooh father-in-law calling,” Farhan says as I pick up the phone.

“Be quiet,” I say and answer the, placing the phone by my ear, “Assalamu Alaikum,"

Wale Kum Assalam, Faizan beta. How are you?”

“I’m doing well, Alhumdulillah. How are you?”

“I’m well, Alhumdulilah. You must have figured out the reason behind my call.”

My heart pounds loudly in my ear as I say, “yes,”

“That being said," he pauses, "let me know when you and your family will be available so we can discuss the dates.”

Relief washes over my body at his sentence and the happiness in his voice, “I will call them and let you know.”

“Alright, we will be waiting then,” he says, through his voice, I can feel him smiling, “have a good day ahead, beta. Allah Hafiz,”

“You too. JazakAllah, Allah Hafiz.”

He hangs up the call and I place my phone back on my desk.

“So?” I look up at an smiling Farhan, “what did he say?”

For the first time in my life, I feel happiness rush through my body as I say, “she said yes.”