4 ~ Her Intoxicating Smell

5k Votes!

Abhinandan POV

Stars are attractive. They seek attention, sometimes more than the moon, nature and the most beautiful things in the world. Gazing at them gives us a sense of peace, satisfaction and direction. However, the watchers are far from knowing that the stars burn themselves up in order to stand up to their standards. They keep destroying themselves with stiff lips to let the observers enjoy a different reality. And the funny thing is that there is a different reality for every one of the stargazers.

Royal bloods are no different. Their life is under the continuous watch of the people, realm and enemies.

Recalling my enemies, I found myself unable to distinguish who my friend was.

Whatever happened in the last month scares me with every new face reveal. I thought, at least, my parents would understand that whatever happened with Nandani was wrong and Rudra should be killed. But, they believed that I was the culprit in the first place who brought him into the Kingdom.

I was declared at fault without a trial.

My father let out his anger on me when I chose to wage war against Rudra instead of consoling Nandani. My mother told me Nandani was a fool; she would not know about the people, and I should have been more careful.

Everything came down on my shoulder. Just because I was a man and I was meant to know.

Nobody chose to stand beside me. They all chose her tears instead of mine's dried eyes. Their hatred was the last thing I wanted, especially after proving myself a failure. I was the next in line to be a King, and I made the stupidest mistake of my life, which cost my sister everything.

Sister. I chuckled.

The same sister who married the one who defiled her innocence and called her a scar.

I could no longer determine who my enemy was or what was wrong with the people.

My sister, Nandani, married him. I could not be proven more fool than this. I was preached and recalled the blood of our ancestors by my father when he found out what happened to her. But, everyone celebrated her wedding, happily giving her to their enemy and expected him to be good to her.

This enraged me beyond my limits.

I hated everyone: my friends, my parents, my sister, my family, and everyone who hid themselves behind the walls of Mahabaleshgarh and Suryagarh, especially Rudra Dev Singh.

I would not return ever, not before I at least kill him.

But amid all of this, I could feel myself at ease, finding a person who was worried for me, not for the Prince.

"Wait, I am coming with you!" I could not stop exclaiming and running after her a little to match her quick pace.

"Calm down, you will not be late," I assured her, but she shook her head.

"I am already late," she stated.

We both stepped down the stairs of the chamber and drenched in rain within a few moments. Her body visibly shivered, and I immediately removed my overcoat to hand her over.

She stared blankly at me for a moment but then silently took it from my hand, taking extra care not to touch my skin.

She was my teacher's daughter, someone who was meant to become a sage, a good friend, and a well-wisher. But something still attracted me to her in more than a friendly way.

It was not her appearance, not anything; there were no feelings, but something I could not put into words.

"Thank you," she muttered with shaky breaths and wore my overcoat.