xiii

And in that moment, I showed Luke Hemmings what love was. We stood as if we were alone. He took me by the waist and I stood on my tiptoes, gently places my lips onto his. I feel him smile between my lips, causing me to smile right back. The feelings of love are strong and powerful. I don't know how to deal with it, but however we will deal with it we will deal with it together.

Everyone stared. Whispers filled the room, then something that I never expected happened. Everyone is clapping.

Alexis started it, then Calum, then Ashton, causing everyone to follow. Luke and I look around the room, in shock. Never has he ever experienced this in his life..

He smiles brighter and I follow quickly after. People are smiling to him, making a massive difference than it was just one week ago. Acceptance. He is feeling acceptance, and not just by one person, but by everyone. And he deserves every bit of it.

The rest of the night, people didn't stare anymore. People congratulated me and my braveness and some even apologized to Luke. And you can tell that he's beginning to be able to talk to others as well. I guess there can be good in this world, and if you don't see it, be it.

Lovers danced, people laughed, and everything was... just how I wanted to be.

Alexis suddenly gives me a big hug, squeezing me to death. "I'm so proud of you." She whispers in my ear. I think I'm proud of myself too. I mean, how would it be if I wasn't here? If I would have never given him a chance to show me the real Luke Hemmings?

Maybe that's the reason he let me in. He was so desperate for someone to see him, to save him, to accept him. When I met him in the park for the first time, his eyes screamed help from not only himself, but others, through his cold eyes there was a message. I guess I finally saw the signal... but on accident. But I believe that this is the best accident I have ever made.

I smile to Alexis and watch as Calum takes her put onto the floor to dance. She's happy. I'm happy. Everyone is happy. Maybe I am good at something. At getting people to be happy. I guess I'm the type that wants others to be happy before myself, to save people from what monster they might become.

That night, Luke and I walked down the sidewalk in the dark. We held hand, which reminded me of the first time. When we he showed me where his mother's house burnt down.

"Cassidy," Luke breaks the silence. I look up to him and the stars shine off of his eyes, lighting up the moment. "I have a very important question that hasn't been asked yet..." His voice is nervous. I grip his hand to assure him that he has nothing to be afraid of.

He stops walking and he takes both of my hands, making my body face his. "Will you make me the luckiest man alive, and be my.... girlfriend? I thought now would be the proper time to formally ask you.." She says. His face has a slight blush and bites his lip. And his voice is shaky.

"Yes... yes!" I jump up and wrap my arms around his neck. His hands firmly grip waist and his lips crash onto mine.

And there we were, under a street light, close to midnight, kissing so gentle but so passionately. Wanting more and more of each other. My fingers make my way to his hair and he presses me up against the street light. I smile as he smiles, a whole zoo going off in my stomach. I swear that he is probably able to feel or hear my heart pounding through my chest. "I love you." I whisper between kisses.

"I love you." He replies in a low voice. Making my heart leap for the one millionth time.

He leaves small, sweet kisses on my neck. His lips trace my jawline, giving me goosebumps up my back. I catch eye contact and he smiles at the sight of me. His eyes are as bright as I have ever seem them before.

I want him. I've never felt this way before. I begin to feel sick at the thought of ever losing him. It makes me hug him even tighter. But he holds me so tenderly with shaky hands as if I might collapse at his touch.

They say that things don't last forever, but when it comes to love, things change. Some do not last however, but the love that was once there still remains, whether it's felt or has dulled down to an eternal flame. But sometimes, it spreads across your heart again, much like a forest fire, and the feelings slowly but surely begin to return. You're still in love with fragments of them. Some can hide it better than others, but there is no denying that it is there.

I know that I will despise everyone who comes into his life and love him for the wrong reasons, because none of them will ever hold him the way be deserves to be held.

He picks up his lips from mine and he speaks so softly, "I'm so afraid of breaking you. I tend to ruin everything I love, only because I'm convinced I don't deserve it. And god, I don't deserve you."

I look at him like he is speaking a new language. How could he be so wrong? Of course he deserves me. No, he deserves someone better. I don't know why he wants to end up with me. But never do I ever want him to end up with someone else.

"Luke, don't say that.." I cup his chin as I stand on my tip toes...

That night he lays on my bed with me as my eyes flutter to sleep, but I fight it because I'm afraid that if I wake up this will all be a dream. I begged him to stay with me tonight because I "lost my teddy bear." Of course, he agreed.

He sits up, leaning against a pillow with his knees up and I hug his arm as my eyelids get heavier. I feel his gentle eyes focused on me and I hug him tighter and tighter, wanting him to be close to me. He finally slides off his shirt and lays right next to me, making my body tremble as his warm body presses against me. He took me and pulled me closer to him and I wrap my arms around his chest as I lay my head there as well.

I feel safe and protected in his hold. Like as if his arms are my stronghold.

"This past month I have learned a lot." Luke's calm voice filled my ears as my eyes begin to close. I feel the vibrations of his voice as I lie my head on his chest. "I've learned that I can matter to someone. I've learned that maybe I do deserve something. I've learned that letting people in instead of pushing people away can lead to getting saved from yourself. The list goes on and on. But most importantly, I've learned that maybe my purpose of being born wasn't to save someone or something, but to be saved myself... and that's how I met you.."