3: The Inner Demons

a/n: no this isn't a rip off of the insomniac games i swear there's an original story

haerin wakes up in an unfamiliar bed, in an unfamiliar room. she hears little snippets of songs and talking next to her. sleepily, she turns over.

haerin was expecting a million things. maybe she forgot to turn off her phone last night, and it's been playing the same tiktok over and over again for hours on end. maybe someone decided to break in, and needed a little break from taking all $12 that she has to her name.

what she wasn't expecting was danielle.

"oh f-fuck." she falls out of the bed in her surprise. she's able to catch herself before she hit her head, and dani quickly rushes over.

"haerin? are you okay?!"

"yup! just fine! or, actually, not just fine, what am i doing here?"

"oh come on, like staying at my place for the night is so bad. you fell asleep while eating snacks here. i carried you to my bed."

"oh my god, i can't believe i did that. i'm so sorry" haerin held her hands together in front of her and bowed her head down

"hey, come on, that's really not necessary. but, i probably should tell you. someone named Hyein has been calling you for like, thirty minutes. i didn't answer in case it was personal, and didn't wanna wake you up because it seemed like you really needed that rest."

haerin thanked her, took her phone, and texted hyein.

haerin: hey did u need smth?

hyein: yeah.
hyein: spidergirl.

haerin: what happened?

hyein: it's honestly really scary.
hyein: a group of men wearing oni-style masks and black and white suits shot up a museum.
hyein: 3 dead

haerin wanted to cry. three people DIED because she wanted to have an extra thirty minutes of sleep. what if they were tourists who just wanted to see some nice art? they would never come back to their old lives. what if they had families? friends? what if-

dani put her hand on haerins shoulder.

"are you okay? you're hyperventilating."

haerin didn't say anything, she just jumped into dani's arms and started to breathe shakily. dani ran her hand through haerins hair comfortingly. her phone vibrated.

hyein: spidergirl.
hyein: suit up
hyein: witness reports 12 men who had the masks and suits going into a warehouse in chinatown

haerin: gotchu

haerin excused herself quickly, and ran into her apartment to get her suit.

haerin scares herself with how fast she's swinging. her anger at herself, and at those oni businessmen were the things driving her forward.

on the ground, plenty of people were taking pictures and videos of her.

"YEAH SPIDERGIRL! ZOOM!"

"WHERE WERE YOU EARLIER?!"

"SPIDERGIRL CAN YOU HIT A POSE REAL QUICK? I WANNA POST THIS ON INSTA! NO? OKAY THATS COOL TOO!"

hyeins voice chimed into haerins mask. "wow, the people love you. national sensation already. look at you go!"

"only 2 of those 3 comments were positive. i should've been there earlier."

"it's fine. i'm sure whatever you were doing was important."

"i was just sleeping at d-" she cuts herself off.

"huh? what's that?" hyein presses.

"it's just, i brought my leftover snacks from the bodega back to my place, and i ran into my neighbor, so i went into their apartment, and shared it with them. i ended up falling asleep and they put me into their bed."