11: Sorrow So Intense

Charles

I stared down at Hera's face as she slept against me. I reached over and stroked her cheek, and her eyes opened. She looked up at me and sat up on the sofa, rubbing her eyes. I just watched her stand up and walk to the fireplace. She stared at the flames unblinkingly, and the light was reflected dimly in her golden hair and grey eyes. I stood up and walked to her, lacing our hands gently and putting my arm around her waist from behind.

"You're beautiful," I whispered. She turned.

"Even now?" As I watched, she pulled away from me, purple bruises appearing on her skin, her face and arms and legs. I gasped.

I threw myself into a sitting position as I jerked awake. I felt sweat coating my body and threw my covers off. I walked to the door and tried the knob, but it was still locked. Walking to the window, I sighed. It wasn't just a sigh. It was an anguished exhale from the depths of my soul. One I'd exhaled every day for the last two weeks.

The sun was high in the sky, and I pulled the drapes closed. It was too bright...

I heard the door open as I sat on my bed, head in hands, but didn't look up. I heard a gasp, then footsteps, and arms wound around me. I jerked up.

"Charlie!" a voice sobbed.

"Hera?"

"Yes!" she said, taking my face in her hands. I gasped and held her tightly, kissing her head and cradling her against me.

"Are you all right? Are you hurt?" I gasped. With a sob she nodded, and my stomach flipped. I jerked back and looked into her eyes.

"Yes, I'm hurt," she sobbed, holding out her arms, which were bruised and purple. I gasped a ragged gasp, and touched them.

"What has he done?" I asked, not really wanting to know.

"He hits me every night before making me sleep with him," she sobbed. I felt a wave of fury sweep over me, and I leapt to my feet, accidentally knocking Hera to the floor, where she stayed, sobbing. I paced, rubbing my face, trying not to fly off the handle. Suddenly, I realized Hera was on the floor. I knelt next to her, pulling her into my arms. I rocked gently, kissing her head and crying my own silent tears.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "Did I hurt you?"

"No," she whispered.

"I'm sorry this is happening to you," I said. "You're a goddess. You should be lounging in a palace, playing your piano, or your harp, and with no cares in the world." She laughed through her tears.

"Do you really think I would let you be here alone? Either we're both in that palace, or we're both here. As long as we're together." She tucked away some of my hair.

"He makes you sleep with him?" I whispered.

"Don't go thinking the wrong thing," she said quickly. "I don't let him do anything."

"But he tries?" She bit her lip. Yes. I felt myself shaking. "I'll kill him," I hissed. "I'll kill him!" I started to stand, but she held me down.

"Don't be so angry," she begged. "I hate it when you're angry." I stared down at her, her light eyes pleading with fear and hope in them. She was beautiful. Finally I sighed.

"Fine." She closed her eyes in relief. I slumped back down onto the floor, completely helpless, and she carefully took my hand. With a shaky breath I drew her against me, closing my eyes as I held her. I felt her hand slowly moving back and forth on my back, a gesture of comfort. I started trembling.

He was going to pay for this.

Hera

I felt Charles trembling and looked up. His gaze was turned to the door, his eyes moving rapidly around it. His lips were pulled into a tight, furious line; he was angry, probably analyzing that door, searching for weakness.

"Charles?" I whispered. He stood up, pressing his hands to the wood and running them along its lines and creases. "Charles, what are you doing?"

"Finding a way out."

"There's not one. I've already tried," I said bitterly. He didn't move. "Charles, listen to me. We're never getting out of here. At least not alive. He's going to get tired of you and kill you, and he'll never let me go because sooner or later he's going to get tired of me fighting and just force his way on me." Charles' hands slowly slid to his sides. "There is no happy ending in this story. We're both doomed to an untimely demise and we're never going to play the piano together or read in the library together or run in the rain or ride together or get married or have a family or grow old together or anything!" I felt tears streaking my face as he turned. His eyes were wide with sad horror that I would even think such things.

"Oh, Hera," he whispered, taking a step to me and folding me in his arms again. "Don't ever say those things again." I closed my eyes and laid my head on his shoulder. I was going to lose him. Soon. I knew it in my heart, which was as heavy as a stone thrown into a lake. I didn't want to lose him.

Tears started to roll down my cheeks at the thought and I squeezed him. He was my Charlie. My best friend, my other half, my comforter. I couldn't lose him.

Suddenly from far down the hall, I heard Gerard's boots. I gasped.

"He's coming!" Charles tightened his grip on me.

"He won't touch you!" he hissed. I turned to him again, pressing my lips to his.

His hands cupped my face suddenly, kissing me harder. It was fierce and a little frightening, but I complied. The footsteps were drawing closer.

Finally I broke away, and Charles kissed my jaw.

"Stop, stop," I gasped. "He's almost here."

"You didn't mean all those things you said, did you? About him killing me and forcing his way on you?" he whispered. His eyes were lowered, but I could still see tears in them. I sighed shakily, holding back my own tears, and gently pulled him close to me. He was shaking again, not as hard this time, and I stroked his hair.

"I don't know what I meant," I replied.

Suddenly the door was thrown open and Gerard stormed in. He grabbed my arm, jerking me away.

"No!" Charles yelled. "I won't let you take her from me again!" He pulled me toward him, but Gerard had a tough grip on me. Finally he jerked me away and threw me from the room, slamming the door behind us. I could hear Charles shouting, which suddenly faded into sobs. I felt my stomach churn. Charles was sobbing.

I leaned on the door, and immediately his sobs lessened. He slumped against the hard wood separating us.

"Oh, Charlie," I whispered. "Please don't cry."

"Come on." Gerard grabbed my wrist, and I gently kissed the door before he dragged me away.

*****