29: Empty Threats?

Charles

I watched Hera as she played, her fingers dancing like they always did. Her eyes were almost closed, and her hair was hanging down her back in graceful waves. I felt a smile pulling at my lips. My eyes were drooping, and finally I closed them and leaned my head back.

I heard the piano stop playing, and the sofa moved as Hera sat beside me and put her arms around me. I stroked her hair.

"Charles?"

"Hm?"

"Have you been... uneasy lately?" she asked. I opened my eyes.

"A little, I guess," I replied. "Why, have you?" She nodded.

"I've been having nightmares again," she whispered. "And ever since... the other night especially... I don't know, I just feel like the worst is yet to come." I frowned.

"No. Gerard is dead."

"But what if he wasn't alone?" she pressed. "In fact, he wasn't. There was another man, Donovan Black. I didn't see him much, and he was gone when Gerard massacred his men. He's still out there, Charles." My stomach clenched.

"No. We're not talking about this. You're safe. No one is going to come and take you away, and no one is going to try. It's over." She stood up with a sigh. "Where are you going?"

"I want closure," she said, staring through the stained glass window. "I want to know for sure..." She turned. "The house. Ours, does it have sufficient locks on all the doors?" I nodded.

"My father paid extra."

"Windows?" I nodded again. "When are we moving in?"

"We're nearly finished," I replied, perplexed. "Is there something you're not telling me?" She was silent for a moment. When she spoke again, her voice was starting to choke up.

"I'm scared, Charles." She turned. "I haven't told anyone... but I got a letter yesterday." I leapt up. "It said I shouldn't have come back, and that I shouldn't have thought it was all over because it isn't." I rested my hands on her shoulders as tears started to streak her face.

"What else?"

"But it said they were tired of me. They didn't want me anymore." I closed my eyes in relief, but her sudden sob made me open them. "They said they want you..." she sobbed.

"Nothing is going to happen," I whispered as she buried her face in my shoulder. "I promise."

Promise was a big word.

I laid awake that night, Hera held in the crook of my arm. Her breathing was even, but I couldn't join her in sleep. I slowly pulled my arm out, causing her to simply roll over, and stood up. I searched the room quietly, finally spotting a corner of an envelope poking out of her jewelry box. I pulled it out.

It was just like she said. Threats to me were emphasized, mocking her and making light of her pain. I felt my body trembling in fury, and I crushed the paper in my fist. No one was going to hurt my family. I'd worked too hard for it.

«Unknown»

I could see the count in the window of his bedroom, reading the letter I had sent his wife. A smirk pulled at my lips. I wanted pain. I wanted blood.

I drew my pistol, considering shooting him right then, but he moved and I lost sight of him. Cursing quietly, I put my weapon away.

I turned and made my way back to where the carriage was waiting. I climbed in.

"Well?" Mr. Black asked.

"They got the letter," I said.

"Good." He leaned back. "We didn't get very far with Lady Bradford, did we? Maybe this time we can get what we want with her husband."

"Remind me what the whole idea is. All the answers I've gotten have been too vague."

"Well, I hired Gerard-- because I knew how much he hated his cousin-- to kidnap Hera and bring her to me. He failed at first. He got greedy. Finally, after some... talking, he obeyed, with my consent of his being able to stay with his 'true love'." He scoffed. "The fool. I was going to make the fortune of a lifetime on that woman, but he ruined it. Anyway, when my... client was late to come get her and that stupid boy came and took her back, you can imagine how upset I was. Fortunately for Gerard, he was already dead, so I couldn't strangle him..." He paused. "Why do you even want to know all this?" he suddenly asked.

"So I can gauge how necessary this all is," I replied. He leaned forward.

"It's necessary so you can keep you life," he snarled. "Now go. My client is expecting a delivery." I got out of the carriage, watching it roll away, then ran home.

Hera: Next Morning

I woke alone, and I sat up. Eva was gone, too, and I stood. Walking downstairs, I heard voices and found Charles, holding Eva, and Percy in the kitchen playing chess. I smiled as Charles placed his queen in position to checkmate Percy's king, then leapt up and whooped victoriously. Eva laughed adorably as Percy threw his arms up in defeat.

"Hera, your husband's a dirty cheater!" he cried.

"Or maybe you've just never won a game of chess in your life," I laughed, walking in and taking Eva. Charles was beaming proudly, and I laughed.

"Come on, cheater, help me with breakfast."

I put Eva on the floor in the kitchen as he started pulling down ingredients.

"I found your letter last night," he said casually, and I dropped the spoon I was holding.

"What?"

"You heard me."

"And?"

"And I think it's all empty threats," he said. "I don't think we have any reason to be worried." I looked at him skeptically, then turned to the food.

"I have no way to protect you," I said a few minutes later.

"Hera, I promise, I'm fine," he said. "You're overreacting." I sighed.

"I just... last time..." He pulled me into his arms.

"This isn't like last time." I didn't answer.

Nothing is ever exactly the same as last time.