22: The Wedding

One Week Later

I walked out from behind the changing screen, my train trailing gracefully behind. My mother and sisters sighed.

"Oh, it's beautiful," Artemis whispered.

"Just like its wearer," a deep voice said from the doorway. I turned and found my father and Charles, holding Evangeline-- Eva, as he called the baby. I smiled at the sight of them, stepping forward to take the little girl, speaking softly to her. She smiled up at me, her big green eyes twinkling.

"Get out!" Persephone cried. "Bad luck to see the bride in her dress!" She hurried Charles to the door, where I hastily but gently handed Eva back to him, catching a brief kiss before the door closed, glimpsing him smiling down at his little girl before walking away.

He was going to be a great father.

Later

I took a deep breath as I stood behind the closed chapel doors, holding my father's arm. He leaned over and kissed my head.

"Why don't you convince your other two sisters to get married?" he suggested. "You and Artie are the only ones who even wanted to."

"They seem perfectly happy being single," I replied in a shaky voice.

"Are you nervous?" I swallowed and nodded. "Don't be. You have nothing to worry about." I took a deep breath as the doors opened.

Charles looked so handsome in his navy blue suit, his hair tied back handsomely. He smiled, beamed, really, as I started down the aisle with my father. I finally slid my shaking hands into his, and he smiled even wider. I saw Evie in my mother's arms, sleeping quietly, then turned my attention back to Charles.

Scarcely had the bishop started the ceremony than I heard a shot. Several women screamed, and Charles stepped protectively in front of me as none other than Gerard stood up from the back, holding a pistol. He started down the aisle, twirling his weapon, smirking.

"What are you--"

"I'm on probation," Gerard interrupted Charles. "Oh, well, this time I won't fail." He raised the barrel to Charles' head. "Hera, dear, come with me, and your precious little family will be safe." I frowned. "Oh, yes, I heard about your little adventure. A fairy tale, really, in which you take in a little girl. What's her name? Evangeline?" My eyes flicked to the baby. If he threatened her...

"I will not," I snarled. Gerard's lazy eyes wandered to where my mother was clutching the baby to her chest, trying to hush her cries as she woke uncomfortably. With an evil grin, all traces of reasonable sanity gone, he turned his weapon to the pair of them.

"No!" Charles cried suddenly.

"Oh, little Charlie has a baby, and he would do anything for her, wouldn't you?" Gerard mocked. There was a terrible silence. "Your wife-to-be and child..." He grew thoughtful. I saw Charles' jaw clench. "Decide, Hera. You or little Evangeline."

"Stop," Charles growled. "Leave now, and never come back. Leave!" I felt a huge protective aura expand from him like I had never felt before, one that only a family man had. Gerard simply smirked, cocking his gun and pointing it at Evie, Charlie's Evie.

"Make a choice," Gerard ordered.

"Me," Charles said quietly. "If you're going to hurt someone, hurt me. If you're going to take someone, take me. Just leave my girls alone." My heart was thundering in my chest as I stared at Gerard's face. His eyes were fixed hungrily on me.

"Not acceptable," the wicked man said with an evil grin. I pressed my face into Charles' shoulder, taking a deep breath, then stepped around Charles. I heard him gasp almost inaudibly.

"Hera!" he whispered, grabbing my hand, but I pulled it away, shakily taking Gerard's hot hand.

"That's a good girl," he sneered. He turned to the audience. "If anyone follows us, or tries to take Hera back, or does anything that would make me angry..." Suddenly his arm wound around me and his gun pressed to my forehead. Charles' eyes grew wide, and his expression of horror deepened. I reached out for him, but Gerard grabbed my arm and wrenched it back roughly, making me wince and Charles' face to flush angrily.

"Don't ever do that again," Gerard hissed, then started to pull me from the room.

"No!" I saw Percy lunge forward, fury evident on his face. I screamed as Gerard pointed his gun and fired, watching in slow motion as blood and scraps of clothing exploded in his shoulder. Then amidst the confusion, Gerard dragged me out, glimpsing Charles' desperate expression as the doors closed.

At Gerard's Manor

"Hera!" I turned from the fireplace as Gerard called for me. I closed my eyes, catching my tears as I lowered my head. The rope on my wrists chafed on my skin, and I quickly wiped away my tears as he entered, directing a glorious feast to be placed on the table. I turned my head away.

"Desperate times call for desperate measures, dear," he said, gripping my bonds and yanking me toward him.

"Let go of me," I said quietly.

"It's been three days, and you haven't eaten anything," he said, leaning back. "I want you to eat."

"I'm not hungry." It was a lie, and my stomach gave me away. He smirked.

"I beg to differ, dearie." I remained silent, staring into the flames, where I thought I saw Charles, holding our Evie, and tears burned down my cheeks.

Charles

I stood up wearily as Eva began to cry again. I rubbed my eyes and gently picked her up, bouncing and rocking her gently as I bit back tears of indescribable rage.

"Hush, Eva," I whispered. "Don't cry; Hera will be back soon. We're going to find her." I heard the door open.

"Let me take care of her, Charles." I turned to Mrs. Platt, letting her take Eva from me. "Go get some sleep." I started back toward my bed as she turned to the door, then turned back.

"Charles?"

"Yes?"

"Find my daughter," she said quietly, yet surprisingly evenly.

"I will," I exhaled. "I will." I stepped forward and kissed Eva's head. "I'll find your mother, Eve. I promise." Then they were gone.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

All right. So it's all starting over sort of. Hopefully we are almost done with the drama. I'm really bad at coming up with new ideas, sorry about that. Feel free to post ideas on my profile or message me, because I'm running out of options 😜. Thanks for making it this far though!!!! Who's awesome?? You are!!!