12: Apart

I ran and ran and ran from my room, searching. For what, I didn't know. I just had to get away from that room. Gerard had been drunk when he'd gotten to my room, tying my wrist sloppily, then passing out beside me. I was free tonight.

Suddenly I found myself in the dining room beside the piano. I looked around, lifting the lid and sitting on the bench. I let my fingers loose, relieving my heart on the keys.

I felt tears on my face, and jumped with a gasp of terror as I hand touched my shoulder, throwing my hands up to protect my face.

"Miss Hera?" I looked up. It was one of the butlers. He had white hair and a kind face, with furrowed brows and confused eyes. I wiped my eyes. "Do you need something?"

"I just... I hate this place!" I wept. "I hate that Charles has to be here, and I hate Gerard!"

"Welcome to the family," he said bitterly. He looked thoughtful. Suddenly I had an idea.

"Can you help me get Charles away from here?" I asked hopefully. He looked at me doubtfully.

"I can. Just don't tell him it was me."

"I wasn't planning to. Do you have a key to his room?"

"I can get one."

"I'll meet you upstairs, then?"

Upstairs, I pressed a hand to the door, taking a deep breath. He was going to protest. He was going to fight. He was going to plead and beg, but he had to leave. He had to get away.

When the butler appeared, I quietly unlocked the door, pushing it open. Charles was on the bed, still in his clothes, not even under the covers. He must have collapsed and fallen asleep instantly. I sat beside him and touched his arm.

"Charlie," I whispered. "Charlie, wake up." His eyes fluttered.

"Hera...?"

"Come on," I whispered. "Get up."

"Why?" he asked groggily as he obeyed.

"Just follow me." I took his hand, kissing it and leading him from the room. He held tightly to my hand, and I could feel it shaking just a little. I led him outside, to the gates at the end of the drive. He stopped.

"We're running?"

"You're running," I replied, opening the gate. He frowned. "I want you to run far away and don't come back."

"No. I'm not leaving you." I knew it.

"Please, Charles," I begged. "I'll join you soon, just go. Please."

"No. I'm staying with you. I have to protect you!"

"You can't! Not while you're here. Not while you're locked away," I said. "I promise I'll be with you soon, just please go." He shook his head. I sighed. "Fine," I said, taking his hand. "Let's go." We both stepped outside the gates, and I felt a temptation to just go. But I had to give Charles a head start. Suddenly I jerked away and shut the gate between us, locking it.

"No! What are you doing?!" he cried, throwing himself against the gate. "Let me back in!" I shook my head, tears burning my eyes. "Hera, listen to me. I have to stay. I can't leave you with him!"

"You have to," I whispered. He caught my hands.

"Please don't separate us!" he begged, tears making his eyes shine. "I have to be where you are! I love you!"

"I love you, too," I whispered. "I'm sorry." He gripped my arms gently but firmly.

"Hera, you don't know what you're doing--"

"Charles, if you really loved me, you would do as I ask!" I finally cried. His face crumbled.

"But it's because I love you so much I have to be with you. I lost Lillian, I can't lose you, too." I reached through the bars and kissed his forehead.

"Go. Now," I said in a hard voice. I was shaking. "He'll be awake soon." Charles was crying quietly. "Charlie..." I put my arms through the bars and embraced him one more time. "You can do this." He shook his head. "You can. I'll be with you soon. Go." He pulled away, pleading with his eyes one more time, but I was firm, and he turned slowly, trudging slowly away. He glanced back, but I looked away, and he kept going. When he was finally out of sight, I fell to my knees and sobbed.

Charles

I heard Hera crying behind me, and I covered my ears as I wept. I had nowhere to go, no father to return to. I just kept walking, however, despite the pain in my chest.

Finally I saw lights in the distance, and I started toward them. I had to find help.

When I finally stumbled into an inn, it was dawn. I fell into a booth, closing my eyes.

"Charles?" I opened my eyes. A pregnant woman stood there, dark hair, grey eyes like Hera's, and a sympathetic look on her face. I recognized her as one of the Platt sisters. I still gave her a wary look. "I'm Artemis, Hera's sister?" I nodded. "Where's Hera?" I started shaking again, and the whole story came pouring out. She took my hands.

"Come home with me," she said. "My father and brother can help you. And you look tired. Come on." I followed her outside, and she led me kindly to her parents' house, where I was accepted warmly by Mrs. Platt. She saw my tired, tear streaked face, and immediately led me up to a bedroom. She gave me extra clothes, and her smile was comforting. It was Hera's smile.

At last I came down the stairs. Percy was standing there with Hera's younger sister-- Persephone?-- talking to their parents. Her two older sisters were there, too. Percy looked up.

"What are you doing here?" he snapped.

"I need your help," I said. My tears and weakness had subsided, and now all I felt was anger.

"Why should I help you?"

"Because Hera needs you." His face remained hard, but his eyes showed fear.

"What have you done?" he snarled.

"My cousin. My cousin is keeping her prisoner in his manor. I'm not going to tell you what she told me, but you have to help us." I sounded desperate now. "Please, Percy." I glanced at Persephone, who quickly looked away. Percy's eyes moved to his little sister.

"All right. I'll help."