16: Deal

Hera

"Let go of me!" I screamed as Gerard dragged me through the halls, shoving Charles in front of us. I gasped as he threw a fist across Charles' jaw, flinging him against the wall. "Stop it, stop! Please, Gerard, don't hurt him!" He shoved me back, grabbing his cousin by his collar.

"You should have stayed away while you had the chance, cousin," he snarled. Charles groaned in pain as Gerard threw him to the ground, throwing his foot into his side.

"Stop it!" I shouted, trying to tear him away. He swung his arm around, throwing me against the wall. His eyes glared at me for a few moments, then swung back to Charles. Charlie's eyes grew wide, and he scrambled back as Gerard charged forward, but I threw myself in front of him.

"Get out of the way, Hera," Gerard snarled.

"No," I croaked. "You can't hurt him anymore."

"Hera," he snarled warningly.

"Gerard," I snarled back. "Let him go. I'll stay. Let Charles go." Gerard's eyes moved to Charles on the floor, whose fingers I could feel gripping the hem of my dress.

"Hera," my lover whispered. "Don't..." I didn't look at him.

"He stole everything from me," Gerard hissed. I shook my head.

"No, he didn't," I said. "And you know he didn't. You're just looking for someone to take the anger out on. Take it out on me, then." I opened my arms out.

"No."

"Why? I'm the same as Charles."

"Get out of my way, stupid girl!" he yelled. He drew his pistol, and my heart pounded as he pointed it past me at his cousin, and I stepped in front of the barrel, pressing it against my heart. Tears pricked my eyes, tears of fear and anger.

"Hera," Charles croaked. He was hurt. I could hear it in his voice. My eyes stung even more. I saw something in Gerard's eyes, something I knew. Something I felt every time I looked into Charles' eyes.

I suddenly grabbed Gerard's hand and pulled him into a room, closing the door. I turned to him.

"I know what you want," I said. "But I'm Charles', Gerard."

"That's why he has to die," he snarled. "You're mine. I love you, Hera--"

"But I don't love you," I interrupted. "But if you'll let Charles go, I'll stay. Here, with you." His eyes wandered to the door. "But I'll tell you right now that I'm not Lillian. And I'm not putting up with your wandering hands and thoughts any more. You need to learn manners and courtesy and if I'm going to stay, you'll learn them quickly."

"Fine," he said airily. "You're staying." My stomach turned, even though it was my decision, and I swallowed. "Go get precious Charles out of my house." I turned and walked from the room, knees wobbling. Charles was still on the floor, head leaned back, eyes closed. I knelt beside him.

"Are you all right?" I breathed.

"No."

"Where does it hurt?" I asked gently. He grabbed my hand and rested it on his chest, right above his heart. Tears pricked my eyes. "Did you hear?" He nodded. I leaned down and rested my cheek on his chest, tears rolling down my face. His hand stroked my hair slowly.

"I don't want to leave you," he whispered. "I'm not going to." I closed my eyes, not wanting to fight with him.

"I'll be all right," I whispered.

"I don't want you to just be all right. I want you to be all right with me," he said quietly.

"Maybe I can talk him into letting me come back to you someday," I said gently. He sat up, favoring his left arm, the one that had been shot. "Are you hurt?"

"No, the scars are just tender," he murmured. I took his hand.

"Everything will be all right," I said. "I promise." He looked away, then the door opened and Gerard led me away.