26: Problems

Hera: 6 Weeks Later

I slowly opened my eyes as Charles finally came into our room. I held a sleeping Eva close to me, and I heard him changing quietly into his nightclothes. I felt him kiss my head and gently pick Eva up, resting her softly in her cradle, then climbing into bed. I rolled over, and he stared fondly into my face. I didn't smile back, and he frowned.

"What's wrong?" he asked quietly.

"Why aren't you ever home anymore?" I retorted.

"I'm busy with the house."

"Nobles don't usually work on their own houses," I said quietly. "But you're always home hours after your father and Percy and Father. What keeps you out?" He licked his lips.

"Um... nothing. I'm just late."

"But hours, Charles?" I felt tears threatening to reveal themselves. I hadn't cried since the whole... ordeal. And I wasn't going to now.

"Listen," he said quietly, "I love you. And I'd be home sooner, but I just have been really busy all of a sudden. Don't worry." I stared at his face, and I couldn't tell if he was lying. Finally I rolled over, and he started to embrace me, but I pushed him away, and he sat up on his elbow.

"Hera, don't be angry with me," he begged. I didn't answer. "I swear I'd never want to spend a minute more than I have to away from you. I'm not just trying to avoid you, darling. I've fought too hard to get you to where you are right now, right here, and why would I throw that away?" I didn't reply, and he sighed and laid down, facing the other way.

And I never felt quite so lonely.

Charles

I walked out into the sun and sat on the steps of my father's house, where we were nearly done with the repairs. I wiped the sweat from my brow, remembering what Hera had said-- "nobles don't usually work on their own houses" or whatever it was. I was trying to show her I was a worker, not just some pretty boy that had everything handed to him.

Why was she angry with me? Because I was gone all the time? Because I was doing all these secret things for her on the house that I knew she would love? I sighed. Who was I kidding? I needed to go home. I needed to spend time with my girls.

I stood up, brushing off my clothes and hair, and started toward the road. I stopped at the florist and bought a large bouquet of roses for eternal love, and with a smile on my face, I started home.

I walked into the house, ready to take my wife into my arms and tell her how much I loved her. I followed the sounds of voices into the kitchen, where my smiled faded.

Hera was sitting at the table, eyes wet, holding a handkerchief, with her mother and sisters around her. They all looked up at me, the mood suddenly shifting to uncomfortable, and Mrs. Platt led the sisters from the room. Hera didn't look at me.

"Hera," I said quietly. "I... I got you flowers."

"Thank you," she whispered. I set them down and knelt next to her chair, taking her hand.

"What's wrong, my love?" I asked. She sniffed and shook her head.

"You're home early," she stated.

"You told me you wanted me home more," I said. "Did you change your mind?" She shook her head. "Then why are you crying?"

"For a lot of reasons," she said quietly. "Nothing to really worry about."

"Please tell me," I whispered. "Did I do something wrong?" Her brow crinkled prettily, and she turned her head away.

"You're always gone."

"But I came home today just for you."

"One day out of how many?" She shook her head. "I married you because I love you, not just so I could say I'm married to a count I don't know anything about anymore. Besides, Eva needs her father. What have you been doing that you're always home hours after everyone else?"

"I've just been working on a few things for you. The house is practically finished. In fact, we were planning to start moving in tomorrow afternoon," I replied, hurt by her accusations. She rolled her eyes, standing up and storming to the door of her music room, and I followed closely. She slammed and locked the door, and a few moments later, I heard her pounding beautifully on the keys of her piano. I leaned on the door, listening.

Finally I walked away. She wasn't coming out for a long time. I pulled on my coat and started toward town, not able to enjoy the fall colors like usual. The road was abandoned and leaves fell around me, but I just stuffed my hands in my pockets, trying to block out the wind, which seemed particularly violent today.

I glimpsed the lights of the town as I crossed the bridge over the river, and I stopped with a sigh, leaning on the wood guardrail over the turbulent water. I watched the swirling waves as they battled, then merged in an endless swirl of liquid, some leaves floating atop the chaotic surface.

Suddenly I heard a cracking sound from the twisting and writhing trees above me, and as I looked up I saw a massive limb snap effortlessly from the trunk of a huge maple, crashing toward me. I tried to duck, but one of its larger branches clocked me on the head, knocking me dizzy. I glimpsed the bridge crumple under the weight of the massive branch, and I stumbled, almost completely senseless, over the edge.

As I hit the freezing water, I saw the water mixed with blood and stars, and I felt panic rising in my chest.

I wasn't going to survive this water alone.

I imagined little Eva and my beautiful Hera, and I suddenly was willing to admit I was wrong. I needed her, and she needed me, and I couldn't die. I felt my consciousness going quickly, along with my strength, and I gasped weakly for air, hearing vague voices shouting and telling myself I was alone, that I was just imagining it. I felt my body tossed recklessly by the raging waters, then with a single gasp, I was dragged under as I lost consciousness.

•••