Chapter 3

I walked back to the studio smiling at the photo I took. I rushed in and printed the photo. I scaled the picture and drew the grid. I matched the grid on my paper and started on the outline. By the time the bell had rung I had finished about half of the drawing. I packed my supplies away and rushed out of the room. My mom's boyfriend is coming over so I couldn't be home late. I started to run across the front lawn of the school when Vic called my name.

"Leona!" he called. I stopped and turned around as he caught up with Jaime and a few other boys.

"Hi Vic," I said trying to be polite.

"Hey, these are my friends, Tony and Mike, the ones we could skateboard with," he said a hopeful look on his face.

"I... I would love to, I really would, but... my mom hates it when I'm late," I felt horrible lying to them, but I would feel even worse dragging them into my problems.

"Oh, okay maybe some other time."

"D-Definitely, it was nice to meet you," I said before rushing off, it was already too late though. I tried to sneak in the back door but he was waiting there. He grabbed me by the collar of my jacket and lifted me off of the floor.

"Where were you bitch?"

"I- I..." I couldn't sell out my friends... they were my friends right? "I forgot the time, it's my fault," I said, swallowing the lump in my throat. He snickered before pulling his arm back and punching me. He dropped me to the floor and kicked me. He continued to beat me up until I stopped moving. Once he left the room I slowly got up and moved to my room. I collapsed on my bed and started sobbing, hoping the pain would disappear.

Vic's POV

"D-Definitely, it was nice to meet you," she said before rushing off. Why would her mom be so mad?

"I think my big brother has a bit of a crush," Mike said. I just stood there watching her walk off. For some reason I didn't believe her excuse, she seemed too on edge.

"Vic! Earth to Vic!" Jaime said waving his hand in front of my face.

"Huh?"

"We're going back to my place to play some video games, you coming?"

"Sure," I said following them.

Leona's POV

I woke up the next morning with a pounding headache. I took a shower and started the routine of covering my bruises. I put my Vans on and grabbed my bag off of the floor.

I walked into class and slumped down into the last seat in the back corner. I was tired and all I wanted to do was sleep but Missy had other plans. She started with the classic insults, but then she started dragging Vic and his friends into it.

"Where's that group of boys? You know, the ones you've been sleeping with." That line hurt in so many ways, the first people I have something in common with in a long time and they're already being dragged into my problems. I grabbed my bag and ran to the stairwell. I threw my bag down on the ground and collapsed next to it. I didn't try to stop the tears from streaming down my face. As if on cue Vic appeared. He sat down next to me and hugged me. He didn't ask what was wrong, he just knew. I hugged him back as if the world would end if I let go. I held him tightly and sobbed into his shoulder. Eventually I was able to pull myself together. I sat back and he stared at me.

"Did they hit you?" he asked quietly, almost like he thought if he talked too loud I would shatter.

"No, it w-" I put my hand over my mouth realizing what I was about to say.

"Who? Who did this to you?" he asked, balling up his fists.

"I... I can't tell you," I said looking away.

"Hey Vi- Holy shit! What happened to her?" Mike asked. My shoes had become increasingly interesting.