Chapter 5

Leona's POV

We had been out for several hours when Vic thought it would be a good idea to teach me some tricks on his bike. I had eventually figured out how to balance and now he was going to teach me how to pull my back wheel up.

"Go slow, break, pull your back wheel up, and then push forward on the pedals when you feel like you're starting to fall." Thanks for making it sound so easy Vic. After nearly falling off four times I was ready to call it a day.

"One more time!"

"Okay, okay," I said. I started pedaling and pulled on the brake. As I pulled the back wheel up I bent my knees to absorb the momentum like Vic taught me. I held it for a few seconds before pushing the pedals again.

"You did it Leo!" Vic yelled. He ran up and hugged me.

"Only because I had a great teacher," I said with a small smile. I looked at the time on my watch and sighed. "I should get going."

"Oh, okay. Maybe we could do this again soon."

"Sounds good," I said. I got on my board and waved goodbye to the boys. As I got close to my house I noticed my mom's boyfriend's car was parked outside. The smile was wiped off my face as I walked up the front steps. Before I could open the door he had pulled it open and grabbed my jacket collar. He didn't waste time with insults he just started throwing punches. Hit after hit, slap after slap. He eventually got tired of using me as his punching bag so he threw me against a wall and walked away. I practically crawled to my room, using the last bit of energy I had to make it to my bed.

My head is pounding and my whole body aches. I fell as I tried to make it to the bathroom to get some pain relievers. I took a few and went back to my bed deciding against school.

Vic's POV

It's been two days and I haven't seen Leona at all and I'm starting to worry. After what she told us about her mom being upset when she was late, I was concerned something happened.

"Vic, have you seen Leona?" Jaime asked. I shook my head.

"The last I saw her was two days ago, before she left my house. I'm worried."

"Leo!" I heard Tony shout. He ran over to her and I quickly followed. She looked exhausted and almost deathly. She was super pale and looked fragile, as if the slightest touch would break her.

"Where were you? We were all worried," I inquired.

"I got really sick," she said, continuing to walk towards the school. She had a slight limp and kept her head down as she entered the building. The walk to Math was silent. My 1st and 2nd periods were uneventful. Before Leona could reach the guys I pulled her off to the side.

Leona's POV

Vic grabbed my arm causing me to wince slightly. He gave me a questioning look before pushing my sleeve up. His hand flew to his mouth as he saw all the bruises, cuts, and scratches.

"What... what really happened?" he asked. I could feel the tears threatening to spill as I shook my head, refusing to tell him anything. "Please Leona."

"He'll kill me if I tell you," I whispered staring at the ground.

"No, they won't, I'll protect you. Just tell me," he begged. My mind was fighting against my heart, tell him everything and risk his life, or stay silent and protect him.

"Vic, I can't tell you. I want too, but it's best if I keep you out of it. I promise I'll be okay." He sighed realizing I wasn't going to tell him anything. We walked over to where the guys were sitting.

"What took you guys so long?" Mike asked. Before Vic could say anything I answered.

"Vic had to ask me a question about our math assignment," I said as I set my bag down next to me.