Chapter 4

Leona's POV

Vic, Mike, and Jaime had not stopped badgering me about the bruises all lunch.

"Guys! Just leave her alone! It's obvious she doesn't want to talk about it so fuck off!" Tony practically screamed. I mouthed 'thank you' and he nodded. I picked up my bag and moved across from them, pulling out my sketchbook. The four boys quickly started talking about video games or something and I took this as my opportunity to draw them. They were just fooling around out on the lawn. They all looked so happy, something I could never be. I couldn't help but smile at the drawing. Drawing and photography was like the ability to stop time and capture a moment. Before I had time to react Mike had snatched the sketchbook out of my hands.

"Hey! Give it back Mike!"

"This... this is really good," he whispered.

"You think?" At this point all of the guys were staring at my sketchbook.

"How did you do that?"

"I have a photographic memory," I said not daring to look at them. "Can I please have it back?" \

"Yeah sorry," he said. I grabbed the book out of my hand and shoved it into my bag. I gathered the rest of my stuff and started to walk off.

"Wait! Where are you going?" Vic called after me.

"The bell is going to ring," I said, with a small smile on my face as the bell rung. I rushed to my locker to grab my Science textbook and notebook. As I closed my locker two hands appeared on either side of my head.

"Excuse me," I whispered.

"What's the rush? Don't you want to talk to me?" Ethan sneered.

"N- no," I whispered, as I tried to make myself smaller. I could feel his hand sliding up my side.

"And why not?" He asked, bringing his face closer to mine. I closed my eyes and braced myself.

"Hey!" someone yelled. I kept my eyes closed as I heard shouting.

"Leona look at me, please." I opened my eyes to see Mike. I hugged him as tears threatened to spill.

"Don't worry about him anymore. How long has this been going on?" he asked, a hint of pity in his eyes. I shrugged, I had forgotten. "It's okay, it won't happen again. Let's get you to class all right?" I nodded my head as he walked me through the now silent halls.

"Thanks Mike," I whispered.

"No problem," he said with a small smile as he headed off to class. I entered the lab as quiet as possible. The teacher gave me a disapproving look, but continued teaching. I slipped into my seat and quickly pulled out my textbook.

The class ended and I put my books in my bag. I entered "my" studio and immediately began working. There was ten minutes left in the class when I finished. The teacher looked at it and smiled. Most of the time she would give me 100s because I was her favorite student and assistant after school. I rolled it up so I could show Jaime. The bell rang and I ran outside.

"Jaime! I finished it!" I yelled, as I ran up to him.

"Well, let me see it!" I quickly unrolled the paper and showed it to him. I stood there watching his reaction. "You drew this?" I nodded my head.

"Holy shit! This is awesome!" He started to roll it up and give it back to me but I shook my head 'no'.

"You keep it," I said, with a small smile.

"No, I-"

"Please," I said. He smiled and suddenly embraced me in a massive hug. When the guys showed up he started to show them the drawing. I stared at my shoes as the guys talked about my drawing. They started to talk about other things and I took that as my cue to leave.

"Leona! Why don't you come skateboarding with us?" Tony asked.

"S-Sure, I'll be right back. My board is in my locker." I ran back into the school and grabbed my board. I rushed back out to the boys and I followed Vic and Mike as we split up so the boys could get their boards or bikes. Eventually Tony and Jaime showed up and we started on our adventure.