Chapter 13

These last few days have been amazing in the Bahamas. I don't want to leave. We get back on the plane. Our ride seems shorter this time. I haven't told August about the shit Chris told me. I'll do it tonight on an airplane isn't the time.

"Maliyah we're back." I remove the blind fold off of my eyes. We get off and get our luggage. "Did you enjoy yourself?" "I did. Thank you I needed that break." I kiss his cheek. As soon as we walkout of the airport we're bombarded with news reporters. "How do you have any involvement in the death of District Attorney Darius Smith?... How do you feel about the death of Mr. Smith?... You two had a close relationship Ms. Wright what are your thoughts?... Do you believe your boyfriend Mr. Alsina has anything to do with the death of Mr. Smith?... Could this be revenge?" Questions came from every angle.

We don't say anything and proceed to his car. I can admit I am a little shocked about the death of Darius. Monique is calling me. "Hello?" "Y'all are all over the damn TV." "What the fuck happened?" "The DA guy was found dead in an old warehouse." "Damn seriously? We just got back what a welcome back gift all them damn cameras in front of my face. Niggas are like vultures out here." "I could tell either of you weren't pleased with that." "Girl no but we're leaving now. I'll call you later." "Alright." We hang up.

"Babe." "Yes ma'am?" "Can I ask you something?" "Sure." "Did you have anything to do with his death?" "Would you like the truth?" "I would." "I don't know." "What do you mean you don't know?" "I don't know just like I said." "Okay August." "Why are you mad?You asked me a question and I gave you an answer." "You don't have time to be mixed in with this shit." "Maliyah chill." "Could you possibly have any ounce of involvement in this?"

"Maybe." "What the fuck man the Feds are already watching you!" "What the fuck for?" "Drugs what else? That's the only other things your involved in. Chris called me while we were in the Bahamas and told me." "Why you wait until now to tell me this shit?" "Why the fuck did you get involved? I told you to let that Darius shit go." He drives in silence. "Take me to my house. The nigga is dead now you don't have shit to worry about."

As soon as I get out he speeds off. I get inside and check my messages. "Hello Maliyah this is Mr. Jackson. In light of the recent news your suspension is lifted and you may come back in at anytime you see fit. I hope all is well with you." End of message. They will see my ass bright and early tomorrow morning. I can't believe August had something to do with that shit but then again I'm not surprised.

I wake up bright and early. I can't wait to get back in action. I've missed my office and Nina. "Good morning Ms. Wright." "Good morning Nina." "Ms. Wright it's a pleasure to see you." "Same for you Mr. Jackson." "I hope it's no hard feelings." "Not at all you were just doing what you had to do." He smiles, "Good. I have the perfect case for you." "Is the file waiting for me?" "It is. I'll let you get to it." He leaves and I walk inside my office.

I get straight to work and surprisingly no interruptions. My day goes by smoothly and I couldn't be happier to be back at work. The only thing that's missing is August. I suppose neither one of us wants to talk to the other, I'm still mad about Darius. I know he was an asshole but damn I don't think anyone deserves to die. It's nothing worth losing your life over. I pray to God August doesn't have shit to do with it. This is just something that wouldn't be good for him.

I make a few calls before I head out of the office for August about Aliyah. So far no one has given me any confidence that they would be able to help. I know it's kind of tough considering his background but who doesn't love a challenge. At the right angle you could make him look like father of the year. I gather my files and leave out the office. I make my way to my place.

I look down at my phone and still nothing from August. I continue to make calls and ask around before I know it it's midnight. I wrap up my work and go shower. At the end of this mini session I did find one would says she's willing to take on the case. I schedule a meeting with her and shut the computer down.