Chapter 15: Grounded

PART 3: YELLOW ROSES FOR REVENGE

My world spun faster than Mrs. Price's tires as her sports car sped down the road. I took a step and stumbled. Melaney caught me before I skinned my knee on the sidewalk.

"Wow! Tyler was in a hurry," Melaney remarked as she helped me steady myself.

Melaney probably assumed I was upset because Tyler didn't talk to me, but that wasn't the real reason for my lack of balance. I needed to be alone to process everything that happened today.

"Do you mind if I run home?" I asked Melaney and Emily, hoping they would understand. "I don't feel up to small talk."

"So you're too big for us? Now that Tyler likes you. I was afraid this would happen," Melaney teased.

Honestly, I didn't know why Melaney put up with me and all my tilt 'n' whirl emotions. I wasn't good enough to be her friend.

"Go, run off some steam," she insisted, ushering me forward. "Before you have to face the parental firing squad."

"Thanks," I said, waving goodbye as I ran.

My feet pounded on the pavement as my book bag bumped against my back. I made it home in record time, four and a half minutes.

Out of breath from my sprint, I entered the back door. Mother and Jonathan sat at the kitchen table. The deep frown lines etched into their faces revealed their obvious disappointment with my most recent failure and all my prior ones. I took my book bag off my shoulders, placed it on the chair in front of me, and stood there waiting for the lecture.

Mother looked me straight in the eye when she spoke. "The school called and informed us that you ran out of gym class today. You are grounded for two weeks. If it happens again, you will be grounded for an entire month and start attending counseling sessions with Pastor Paul again."

I bowed my head and examined the beads on my moccasins. Now I would miss the Back to School Jam.

"Jasmine," Mother said softly to get my attention.

I lifted my chin and resumed eye contact with her.

"No more excuses. You need to start obeying the rules and act like an adult. You'll be eighteen in nine months. Prove to the school that you can be a functioning member of society." Her voice lacked conviction. My own mother didn't believe in me.

"What if I can't?" I whispered.

"You heard your mother. No more excuses. Follow the rules or face the consequences," Jonathan commanded. "Now go to your room and do your homework."

My first instinct was to run out the kitchen door. I would have done that in the past, but they were right. No more excuses. If I was going to persuade Tyler Price to trust me, then Fly Girl had to be grounded. No more running away.

Instead, I grabbed my bag off the chair, marched up the stairs to my room, and slammed the door in defiance of parental tyrants everywhere. I threw the book bag on my bed. It hit my navy-blue quilt and bounced to the floor with a thud. I stepped over it and reached for the jewelry box on the top shelf of my closet.

I gently placed the cedar box on my desk and lovingly traced the double infinity sign Daddy had carved into the lid. I pulled out the drawer above the chair and shuffled through its contents, searching for the tiny key taped to the inside of a notebook. Finally finding the blue one labeled DREAMS, I ripped the key off the inside cover and twisted it clockwise in the lock three times until the lid popped open.

The comforting scent of cedar drifted to my nose. I closed my eyes, enjoying the familiar fragrance. Daddy always smelled like cedar. Memories flooded my mind, flashes of Daddy and me fishing, dancing, singing . . .