Chapter 24 Exposed

I sprinted up Rose Hill, knocked on the mansion's side door, and waited for Tyler to open it. When he did, I rushed inside, hoping I wasn't too late. "I need to talk to you, privately. It's important."

I examined his expression as he closed the door. He didn't look angry or upset, just happy to see me. "Okay. Let's go to the library. We'll have privacy there."

He led me down the hallway to the library. He closed the door behind us, and I placed my research on the desk, praying he wouldn't close the door to our relationship tonight.

We sat on the love seat facing each other.

"I have something important I want to tell you, too." He smiled and leaned in to kiss me.

I had waited for this moment all day. I kissed him back eagerly, glad he wasn't angry at me. Yet. Why did Dean have to ruin everything?

            My pulse raced faster than a descending roller coaster, and every nerve in my body tingled.  I didn't want the kiss to end, but eventually we had to stop and breathe.

Tyler's lips curved into a smile so charming and contagious that I smiled too, but mine was bittersweet. If it wasn't for Dean's threat, I might have considered terminating my mission for justice. But I had no choice now. If I didn't tell him the truth, then Dean would.

             "So what did you need to talk to me about?" Tyler asked.

            "You first," I insisted.

            "Alright." He ran his fingers through his thick black hair, which showed me he was nervous, too. "I know we haven't been dating long. Officially, not at all, but the Charity Ball was the best night of my life. I am falling for you, Jasmine, and I want to spend every moment with you that I can." He paused, letting me absorb his confession. "I'm hoping you feel the same way."

             "I do, but . . . I don't think your mother wants us to be together. She totally monopolized you during the ball, although she did apologize later. She told Dean to tell me that she was sorry."

            "Really?" His eyes widened, and he blinked. "My mother hardly ever apologizes."

             "Dean said she was a little tipsy."

            He shrugged. "That's nothing new. My mother is a wine aficionado."

            "Is she an alcoholic?" I asked bluntly.

            He scowled and leaned back as if repelled by my question. "Why would you ask me that? Do your parents think my mother drinks too much? Is that why they won't let you go out with me?"

            "My parents won't let me go out with anyone. They don't trust me. They think I'm emotionally unstable, because of what happened when I was eight."

             "The car accident, but that was a long time ago."

            "I watched my daddy die," I whispered.

            "I'm so sorry. I didn't know that." His eyes filled with genuine sympathy for me.

            "You don't remember anything about the accident?" I asked, suddenly very afraid of his answer.

           He shook his head. "No."

            "But, you were there, in the car with your mother, when she hit our car. Do you remember her drinking earlier that day?"

"No. When I woke up in the hospital, I didn't remember what had happened. The doctors said I had amnesia. I still don't remember anything about that day. My mother told me she swerved to avoid hitting an animal in the road and that's what caused the crash. And I believed her."