Chapter 27 Moment of Truth

I ran from the graveyard at full speed. Determination filled my heart and fueled my feet. At home, I took a quick shower and briefly debated about dressing up, but decided to wear my softest, cotton shirt and comfiest jeans.

Comfort was more important than appearance on what could be the most important day of my life. Besides, I was tired of pretending to be someone else. I wanted Tyler to like the real me, not some costumed princess.

I brushed my teeth, pulled my hair back into a pony tail, and applied some clear lip gloss. Good enough. I was ready, for anything.

I rushed downstairs to the kitchen and grabbed a chewy granola bar to eat on the way to school. I put on my jacket and backpack, blew Mother and Hannah a kiss goodbye, and headed out the door.

Melaney waited for me at the end of the street. "Tyler called me. He wants to talk to you before school starts. You're supposed to meet him in the back parking lot at his car. He drove the black Mercedes today," she explained, grinning, "not the Rolls or the Porsche."

I shook my head, trying not to smile. "His family doesn't own a Rolls or a Porsche, just a Mercedes and a BMW. So . . . how did he sound?"

"Like himself." She shrugged. "Sorry, I'm no help. I know you're dying to know what his mother told him."

"The moment of truth. Or a lifetime of lies. I'm hopeful and terrified," I admitted.

"Well, you better eat your breakfast." She pointed to the granola bar. "Or your stomach will be growling during Tyler's account of what happened last night."

"Yes, Mother!" I whined and took a bite of the bar.

At the parking lot, I saw Tyler leaning against his car and waving. Melaney headed for the building, and I approached Tyler.

My stomach churned. I should have eaten more than just the bar. I still felt empty inside.

"Hi," he said, so softly.

His dark blue eyes were shining. He didn't smile, but I knew, somehow, everything was going to be alright.

He opened the back door of the car and slid over to the passenger side. I took off my backpack and threw it on the floor, got in and closed the door. The car still smelled like the yellow roses from the charity ball. But I didn't want revenge anymore, just the truth.

I waited "with bated breath" for Tyler to speak, like those heroines in Melaney's novels.

"You probably know your foster brother Dean drove my mother home last night, because she was too wasted to drive."

I nodded.

"She finally told me the truth about the accident. That she drank too much that day and was swerving all over the road and hit your car. How I was unconscious and you were screaming. You wouldn't stop screaming, because your dad wouldn't wake up. But he couldn't . . . because . . ." Tyler swallowed and couldn't say the words, but I knew he meant: because Daddy was dead.

"How the paramedics took me to the hospital and the firemen had to cut off your seat belt because it was stuck." He took a shaky breath and then continued, "Last night, my mother kept saying she was sorry over and over until she passed out. This morning, she asked me to invite you to our house after school. She warned me to keep quiet about her confession until she had a chance to speak with you."

I didn't reply at first. My mind tried to absorb everything I heard. I was grateful Tyler's mother finally admitted her guilt and wanted to meet with me, but I was also worried. Would she renege on her confession? Or threaten me to not tell another soul? At least now, Tyler knew what really happened, and I didn't have to play the flash drive for him. I was so relieved he divulged what his mother said last night, even though she told him not to. Hopefully, that meant his loyalty was with me and not her.