OTWT: Chapter 2 Guard Your Heart

Chapter 2: Guard Your Heart

I stood stunned, blinking at the sudden brightness of the sun as the clouds parted in the sky. My heart raced faster than my thoughts as I tried to process what had just happened. Why did Dean kiss me? It couldn't have been his idea.

"Who dared you to kiss me? Who was it? Tell me right now!" I demanded, my fingers curling into fists.

Dean shook his head in denial. "No one dared me. You've got to believe me."

"Well, I don't. Was it Jasmine?"

"No. She wouldn't do—"

"Was it Shawn?" I interrupted.

"Absolutely not."

"Then why would you kiss me?" I asked, befuddled. He seemed sincere, but—

"I would also like to know the answer to that question," my father replied.

Surely, my red face could rival a ripe tomato. I forgot we were behind the church where everybody and their brother, or my father, could hear me shouting.

"Melaney, please go to the car. Your mother and sister are waiting for you. I need to speak to Dean." My father sounded calm, as in the calm before the storm.

I should stay and save Dean, but I wouldn't. He deserved my father's wrath this time. I headed for the car, albeit slowly.

"Let me be very clear. You will not kiss my daughter again. Melaney is a good girl, and she will remain that way despite of all the boys who try to steal her innocence. Do you understand?" my father warned.

"Yes, sir," Dean said, without a hint of shame in his voice.

"Good. Now go home before you get into any more trouble," my father insisted.

On my way to the car, I studied the faces of the people in front of the church, praying no one else heard or saw the kissing incident and its aftermath. No one glared at me with disdain. Thank heavens I wouldn't be the latest topic of gossip.

My father caught up with me in the parking lot.

"Dad, I can explain."

"No need. I saw the look on your face when Dean kissed you."

Embarrassment heated my face again.

"We'll talk more before lunch."

"Okay," I reluctantly agreed. 

We walked to the car together. I slid in the back with Megan, waiting to hear a snide remark from her or a reprimand from Mom, but they didn't say a word as Dad drove home.

Megan jumped out of the car, into the house, and up the stairs to her room as I followed behind. 

"It's your turn to help Mom with lunch," I said to her closing door. I went to my room, belly flopped on my floral bedspread, and briefly considered burying myself under the covers for the rest of the day.

Jasmine would be calling soon. I didn't know what to say to her. Should I accuse her of daring Dean to kiss me? She did dare Dean to kiss my mother once. And he did. In Sunday school.

Back then, Mom was our Sunday school teacher, and Dean had a huge crush on her and her chocolate chip cookies. He had lived with Jasmine's family for about six months and followed Jasmine and me everywhere. We were ten, and he was nine. Like all siblings, Jasmine enjoyed teasing her younger foster brother. She told him if he loved Mrs. Miller so much, he should kiss her.

Right smack in the middle of a lesson about loving your neighbor, Dean had raised his hand. "I have a question, but I don't want everyone to laugh at me." Of course, my mom leaned down close to him so no one else could hear. He pressed his lips to hers. She'd backed away faster than a bare hand on a hot oven. Dean grinned. "The answer is yes. You do taste as sweet as your cookies." My mom shook her head for a few seconds and then regained her composure. "Dean, please remember that a gentleman always gets permission before kissing a girl. Do you understand?"