Chapter 26: Broken Hearts

Surrounded by wisps of fog, I followed the sandy path through the tall weeds until I reached the beach. A black wolf stood beside Tyler, but dashed away when it saw me. I tried in vain to catch it. Wolves could run much faster than teenage girls. 

Winded, I jogged back towards Tyler, but he wasn't alone. A sea turtle with intense blue-gray eyes was next to him on the shoreline. Before I could reach them, the turtle dived into the waves and disappeared. I recognized those eyes. Dean has eyes that color. When I finally arrived at Tyler's side, I asked, "What did they tell you?" But Tyler faded away before he could reply.

"No! Wait!" I shouted and jolted up in my bed. Soft moon beams filtered through the window pane into the room.

Another bad dream.

I glanced over at Hannah. She stayed asleep. Thank goodness!

Would these nightmares ever end? So Dean was the sea turtle, who dragged me away from Tyler. I should have realized that much sooner, since I gave Dean a sea turtle necklace for his birthday.

I always forgave Dean no matter what he did to me. But could I forgive him if I lost Tyler forever? Why did he make tell me Tyler the truth about his mother? I wasn't ready yet. I needed more time for Tyler to fall madly in love with me. 

Dean falling in love with me was definitely not part of my plan. He needed to stop interfering in my life.

I knew I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep so I changed into my black jogging clothes, washed up in the bathroom, and snuck downstairs. I plucked a white rose out of the crystal vase on the table and crept out the back door, carefully closing it behind me.

I took the long route through town, jogging past the schools and through the park, until I reached the cemetery. Someone stood at Daddy's grave site. In the dim moonlight, I couldn't see his face, but it had to be Dean. 

I was tempted to turn around and head home. I didn't want to talk to him today. It was his fault my whole world was spinning out of control. I had everything planned out perfectly to the millisecond, and then he had to hit the acceleration button. Furious didn't even begin to describe how I felt.

I marched up the hill to him. "I don't have anything nice to say to you right now, so I won't say anything at all."

"Fine, Thumper. I don't need you to talk. Just listen."

I folded my arms across my chest and glared at him.

He exhaled slowly. "I'm sorry, okay. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have broken into your jewelry box. Again. But all this time, I thought you really loved Tyler. You told me you were going to marry him someday. After Mrs. Price's drunken apologies, I remembered the articles about the accident in your journal. I realized the real reason you were so obsessed with him."

I wanted to scream at Dean that I was falling in love with Tyler, but I kept my lips zipped. If I opened my mouth, I'd say things I couldn't take back.

"Tonight, Diane had book club at our house. Mrs. Price came, and I kept the wine glasses filled. At the end of the night, my mother insisted that I take Mrs. Price home, because she was too drunk to drive. She apologized profusely for her actions again.  So I asked her a few probing questions about the accident, and she admitted to being drunk that day. She probably won't remember what she told me, but I recorded the entire slurred conversation on my phone. Then I drove her home, and Tyler was waiting to talk to her. She most likely told him everything, too. So if you want revenge or justice, I have her confession on a flash drive for you to give the police."