Chapter 9

"Ki in m/m."

Ki POV-

"You really in here taking selfies." Aug walked in my room uninvited looking at me laying on my stomach on my bed, trying out my new smile. 😃

He was right. I was going to make an effort to smile more.

"Get out." I rolled over on my back and sat up.

"Nah I wanna talk." He sat on the edge of my bed.

"We not that cool." I looked at him.

"So you fronting on a nigga now?" He rested his arm on my bed , slightly laying down.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I played stupid.

He laughed.

"Why did you do that?" I asked him seriously.

"Same reason you kissed my cheek. Only I was trying to awake your happiness."

"Wow that's extremely corny." I laughed.

He laughed knowing it was too.

My phone buzzed.

Bev: tell aug to call me.

I ignored it.

"Why you so sad tho?" He looked at me seriously.

"I don't know, I just feel like a failure."

"How?"

"I look on instagram and Facebook and I see my friends that i went to college with doing big things. Their in grad school or doing some big important job. Like my one friend, she works with
essence now as a writer and she went to essence fest this past weekend. And seeing her pics with all the celebs and stuff. And me stuck at home, it just makes me feel like I failed at life."

"Ki you acting like you 50. You young. you got a more life to live."

"I know but it doesn't feel like that. It feels like I'll be stuck at this place forever."

"That's what it felt like for me." He laid back on the bed staring at the ceiling with his hands behind his head as cushion. His feet on the floor.

"In jail?"

"Yeah. Felt like I was never getting out."

"I think it's stupid they threw you in jail for graffiti. "

"Criminal defacement of property is what they called it. When all I was trying to do was create great art."

"It really was great."

"You saw it?" He looked at me.

"Yeah Kris told me to google it. I did and I was thoroughly impressed. You're amazing."

"That mean I ain't got to follow no more rules?"

"No the rules still in place. I can print you a copy if you forgot."

"You o.c." He laughed.

There was silence for a moment.

"I been meaning to ask how do you draw from memory so well?"

"Shit as a graffti artist you got to. The shits illegal so you can't walk around carrying blueprints. That's a paper trail. So You gotta soak it in your mind. Everything from the colors to the schemes. I guess after doing it so long I got good at it."

"You drew that spike photo off of pure memory?"

"Pure memory. I made like a little sketch but I knew what I wanted and so I looked at the original picture before I went out to get it in my mind and just did it."