Chapter 1

12 years later

          Sitting down, I couldn't help but stare at my reflection. I truly did look stunning. I'm sure Liam would be speechless, like I am around him on these special nights. Liam. The boy I love for more than two years. It's finally our night.

"Can I come out now?" I asked through the door.

"Not yet Arie, but soon." Jules, one of my two best friends, answered.

         I walked over to my dresser and grabbed a chocolate bar. Saying I love chocolate would be an understatement. Chocolate was like food from the heavens. Eating it is an addiction that's hard to resist. I'm surprised that I haven't gotten diabetes from the high amount of chocolate I consume.

"Now Jules?"

"Nope." She said.

         I sighed and leaned back against the chair in my room. How much more waiting could I take? I just wanted to run up to Liam, look into his eyes and feel that all of this is true. This is my fairy tale night, it has to be perfect.

       Liam went through his own first change two nights ago. He shifted on the night before his 17th birthday, like all of us shifters. Like all the males, he went through it alone. I expected that afterwards he went for a run with his shifted friends. I wondered if his shift changed him anyway. Does he look the same? Has he gotten taller like the other males? Will I be able to catch his scent now that it is almost time for my shift? Will he be different?

     Don't act like you suddenly can't remember him. It's just your nerves. I closed my eyes and thought about the last time we were together.

~

    I closed my locker and sighed. Finally, the week was over. It took a toll on me, after all my birthday was coming up. The night I get my very own celebration. The night where I shift. The night I can claim my mate and find him if I couldn't before. I already knew who he is.

"Arabelle!" He shouted. He ran towards me in a straight line and pushed away those in his path. It was quite easy for him, being a football player and the unshifted son of the beta in our pack.

"Liam, you didn't have to cause that much of a scene." I called to him as he approached.

He slowed down and grinned at me. "Well who is going to stop me? I'm Liam Star."

"I never said you were Percy." He gave me a serious look and then he started to laugh. Percy is his older perfectionist brother, as well as the future beta.

"Oh, Arie. Let's forget about everyone for a few minutes and be together." He picked me up in his arms and started to charge again.

"Liam! Let me down! You are embarrassing me and people are staring!" I hissed.

He stopped and looked down at me.

"Who is staring at you?" He asked and looked around. The only one who seemed to make eye contact was another girl from the pack, Olive Pit.

"Olive!" Liam called with a loud voice. Her face turned red with a blush, knowing she was caught staring.

"Liam, stop. You know she has been falling for you for the past few years. She also hates me. Let's just go." I whispered to him in a hushed tone.

"Don't worry. I'll handle this. I won't let her hurt you."

I shook my head and slipped out of his grasp. "I'm not supposed to let anybody hurt me, I'm supposed to protect myself."

"Yes. Liam?" A quiet voice asked. We turned around and saw that Olive who stood shyly with her arms behind her back, had stepped closer. Liam tried to push me behind, but I stayed put.