Chapter 31

My heart dropped for a second. I forgot all about Bryn, even though I realized I barely knew this girl- being as secretive as she is. I shouldn't have switched thoughts so quickly, but the amount of heartbreak on the phone. . . I just couldn't explain the feeling. It resonated through me. I needed to know if she was okay. I guess Jules felt the same because she ran off to collect everyone else and give a poorly made up excuse on why we ha to leave so suddenly. I wrapped my arms around myself tightly and then let go.

Tyler pulled up and Charlie hopped out.

"You didn't go inside?" She asked. Ty slammed his door and jogged up to us. He laced his fingers with Charlie's and she gave it a squeeze. Jules probably filled them in on the death. I could only imagine them thinking about how it would feel about loosing each other. Okay I lied. I did think of Bryn. I thought about how the rest of our life was only beginning, we're only beginning to fall in- I couldn't imagine losing him too soon.

I shook my head. "I know Edyth wanted us in as soon as possible but I don't think I can hear this story more than once- or if she'd want to say it more than once. We should all go in together." I replied.

"Cor said he's almost here." Charlie said, after checking her phone.

"Okay, tell him we're waiting out here." I looked out to the road. "OH! Tell him to be careful because there's a birthday party going on and kids are running everywhere."

"Will do."

The kids ran around yelling. They had on some silly hats with pom poms on the end, water guns slung over each shoulder and water balloons ready in their hands. A little girl ran out with a few inflated red balloons tied to her wrist  and red streamers tangling her legs together. Someone shot the highest of her balloons and they went pop.

Red.

"Oh no." I said. I remembered it. Its been so long since I did. I felt my heart drop a bit more. I didn't know I had that much depth

"What?" A look of concern crossed Tyler's face. Probably because he could see the lines begin to crease between by brows and the tension that formed in my jaw. He and Charlie turned to look at the kids. I wondered if they could see what I did.

Pop.

I turned to look over at them.

"I- I just though of how much it hurt. With Liam. He wasn't even mine. He's still alive. It took me so long to get back because he shattered me, but I don't I could stand the pain that death from someone you loved would bring." I told them.

"You don't know if she loved him yet. We don't know anything until we hear the story. Maybe we should save the misery for when she's actually telling us what went down. And Arie, nothing will ever happen to Bryn- I swear it. But if something did happen, you are the only one I am a hundred percent sure that will come out of it." Ty gave me a small strained smile.

I mirrored it. "Thanks, but I think you overhype my strength."

Cory pulled up and hopped out of the window of his car.

"Calm down, grasshopper. You're not as elegant as you think." Jules told him as she stepped outside from house.

"Har, har. At least I don't make the floor rumble as you do when you take a step." He made a face at Jules and she shrugged.

She looked over at the rest of us. "I made her some tea, but she won't move away from the pool in the basement healing room." She turned to head in and I was the first one to follow her.

"There's a pool in the basement healing room? There's a basement healing room?" Cory asked.

"You know with the amount of time you've been to this place to try and steal some 'mystique' powder, you'd think you would know every inch." Charlie teased.