Chapter 24

I woke up with a bang. It couldn't be more than 4:00 in the morning but my house was awake- and something was happening. As much as I hated to leave the comfort of my bed, I threw my covers off of me and rolled to a stand on the floor. The lights downstairs were on and I could hear murmur of voices- I guess that is where I have to go. After grabbing a long cardigan, I stepped out into the hallway.

First, I went to check on my brothers. The triplets somehow managed to ignore the noise that had bothered me. They were curled up together and were sleeping properly for once. I don't know if I envied them at the moment. I closed the door but left a little gap and then went on my way downstairs. My parents' voices could be heard from where I stood - hushed whispers and a storm of confusion.

I made my way down the stairs, careful not to put enough pressure to cause the thing to squeak and wake my brothers up. Once on the ground, I went to the front hall where the most of the lights were. Mom and dad were there, but so were Mrs. and Mr. Star, Percy, dad's delta Mr. Frank Lo and his mate Lily- all of them were in their pajamas. I know, it just look weird that even in such a tight-knit community I called them all Mrs. and Mr. rather than uncle and aunt or using their first names. I got very used to it and that seemed like the only way I could give them the respect they deserved.

"Arabelle." Mom noticed me first. I rubbed my eyes with the back of my hand. Exhaustion was all I had in me but curiosity was beginning to take over.

"What's going on?" Dad paused for a second. When I was younger, he would never tell me anything. He was starting to realize that now I kind of needed to know things and that must be taking him some time to get used to.

"The new shifter, it's stirring." Dad informed me. My eyes widened.

"What?! That's amazing. Do you think it will shift soon?" I asked him. Finally something was happening or it. Finally we will have answers. It was all way to exciting.

"Actually that's what we think it will do after it wakes up. We are going to check on it and that's what we are discussing right now." He claimed but I couldn't understand what they even had to discuss.

"Dad, I don't get why we are even discussing, let's go."

"Sorry honey, you are not going." He told me.

"But why?" I'm sure I sounded like a little child who wasn't given her ice cream or something she was promised too. I was looking forward to seeing it ever since we first found it.

"It might be too dangerous. We don't know what to expect. It could be a dangerous rouge or a wanted male for all we know." Dad told me I looked around at the people that were here.

"Is Percy going?" I asked. I already knew the answer but I needed dad to see. Percy was going to be my beta. It was not fair on any level that he is more involved in the pack than I am just because he was a bit older than me.

"Oh course." Dad responded.

"Then I sure am going." I told him. And then I did something weird, I stormed off out of the house in the middle of the morning and walked to the healer's home. Dad was protesting from behind me but he eventually gave up and scattered footsteps told me that everyone was following along. It was an important moment which I would never miss, no matter what dad had thought. This person, whoever it was, would be my problem too one day.

The healer left the door wide open for us, probably expecting us soon and was already upstairs tending to the wolf. I gasped at the sight of it. It withered and moaned while little spasms ran across its body every so often.

"Isn't there anything you can do to help it?" I asked. Seeing it suffer like that made my heart hurt way more than I could handle.

She shook her head. "I've done all I could. The only thing to do now is wait and let the fates and moon goddess guide it to us." I wanted to protest. This was our pack healer after all! If we couldn't rely on her, then who could we? But everyone started to pile into the room so I just gave up and slumped into a chair near the bed. I made a promise to it then, whoever it was. I couldn't help them now, but I sure as hell would as soon as they get out of this. I'd make it my duty to help them get better.