Chapter 12

"Morning sweetheart." Dad told me as I came downstairs. Mom wasn't there with him but I could hear her somewhere reading a story to my brothers to try and get them to sleep.

"Hey dad." I greeted him as I swung my bag on top of the counter.

"Oh, you can put that away. You are not going to school today." Dad said.

"Wait- why?" I asked him. Never would I have ever thought that he would say that but here it was, and I was pretty surprised.

"You've told me about some visions you've been having and I decided that it was time we went through and researched it. I've decided to bring you to one of the sacred sites to do that and ask one of the elders for assistance." He told.

"Dad, I told you that I've been missing a lot of school!"

"Well isn't it lucky that you have those two human friends to help you?" Dad said but I could sense that it was meant to be something more than just a plain sentence of encouragement.

"Dad, what's wrong?" I asked him.

"Look, I don't know why you brought that excuse up, I of all people know that you are an amazing and intelligent student. You always manage to pull your marks up and it never seemed to be a trouble. I just can't seem to figure." He told me. I couldn't escape as easily as I hoped I would. I frowned to myself, he would get this in the end, and I need to be careful.

"Alright Dad, I have a plan for something greater and those two are a small part of it. Just trust me on this one." I said. He seemed to be unsure and I kind of knew that he really wanted to press me on this topic. But he was slowly begin to learn to let me stand on my own, so he left it at that.

"Okay, only this time, and you better tell me if something goes on, Arie. And nothing dangerous."

"Of course dad, I'm greater than that. When are we leaving?"

"Now, here pack a couple of snacks and we will get going." He told me. That probably meant this was going to be a long trip. I went to the storage closet we have and began to stalk up my backpack, including some stuff for dad if he wanted it. I went outside after that with dad following behind me and went into the car. I guess since we had a car, it shouldn't have been too odd for that shifter castle to have horses and carriages.

Dad began to drive and we both weren't in the mood to talk after what had happened. He was still a little suspicious of me, but while mom would wonder more about what it was that I was keeping, dad would wonder what it was that made me keep it from him. He would wonder if he had done anything that made me feel like this. I really wanted to say that he didn't and there is nothing to do but just wait, but I couldn't bring it in me. Everything would settle down after time I guess. I would just have to wait it out. Healing will come with time, as the elders would say.

Speaking of the Elders, I saw them a couple times before in my life, but not long enough to remember them significantly. They were a group of really old shifters from the nearby packs and had a lot of wisdom. You could only join them once you passed a certain age, but most shifters do not even reach anywhere close to that age which was why their numbers was so tiny. They also lived for more than a century and were able to know far more than we ever would. Dad probably intended to also ask them about my mate issue while we were here. It really wasn't easy to ask for their opinion so I guess he would try to get everything he could.

The land they were on was called the sacred land for a lot of reasons. One, and the most popular would be is that there was where the first pack home in this part of the land was made and formed by a lone wolf who was cast away from his own pack. Eventually other castaways came by to join. After a few years there would be that occasional person who thought that they should lead or had different ideas and left with a couple of people to start other packs. We had a lot of history, and the original pack created all of us in a way. I never have been to the land before though and it must have been in a strictly abandoned place because we were driving through acres of farmland for quite a while. I sent Jules a text saying that I wouldn't be there today and why, and then turned back to stare out the window. It would have been wonderful if I could just run through all of this.