Chapter 1

"That's wrong." she said. I grunted and erased my answer, working out the problem for the third time. Halfway through it I heard her clear her throat and I dropped my pencil dramatically.

"Oh my god! If it's wrong then help me, don't just scold me. You're the worst tutor ever, Trish." I exclaimed, frustrated. She laughed and patted me on the head.

"I haven't really done this in a while, and I suck at math. Just because I'm a graduating senior, Dad thinks I know the answers to the universe." she said. I sighed and let my head fall on the kitchen table. There was no way I would ever understand this, and Trish seemed to agree.

"I give up." I said.

"Me too. Can you get me some coffee?" she asked. I groaned but made my way into the kitchen, grabbing a cold frappuccino bottle from the fridge. My sister couldn't live without Starbucks, so there was always enough; not to mention she got our father hooked. I handed her the bottle and took my seat again, grabbing my phone and scrolling through social media.

"Liam, you need to focus. This project is due in less than a week." she said, flicking my arm. I pinched her for revenge and put up my phone.

"It's the end of the first semester, surely they'll be alright with me missing out on one project." I said. She scoffed and flicked me again.

"I think you're missing the point genius. This is your midterm project, you miss out on this you flunk this semester."

"I know, but I don't want to do this by myself."

"Well what about your partner, do you really hate him so much you can't even stand to let him to look at the project?" she asked. She quickly pulled her red hair into a ponytail, only to take it out and do a bun.

"You know that's not it. Mark is some jerk who doesn't even try, I don't want him to get within a mile radius of my work." I said. She groaned and sat on the table, crossing her legs and pushing her bangs out of her face.

"But isn't he like a super genius? Just get him to do all the work."

"Um, yeah, but I feel like I'm more determined to get the work done." I said, obviously a lousy excuse.

"Whatever, you don't know that. Maybe he does want to work on it." she said, grabbing her coffee and getting off the table and leaving the dining room.

"I doubt that-- Hey, where are you going?"

"I'm going to go work on my project. Senior projects are way more important." she said. I could hear her feet thumping on the stairs as she made her way up.

"Oh my god no I don't want to do this." I whined. I glanced over at my phone, thinking about calling Mark. What was I thinking? No way. Yeah he was smart, but he was so mysterious and a jerk. Just because he was attractive and smart didn't give him the right to be some jack ass, even though he was stereotypically the "bad boy". Did I just think that he was attractive? Oh god no, I need to stop.

But we did exchange numbers, surely he would be okay with helping out a little... No, I wouldn't do it. Even if he did make good, smart grades, he always turned in everything late and he was lazy. No ambition for such a smart guy. I'm almost jealous, or maybe I actually am.

That would explain my strong dislike for him. Three years everyone has had to deal with him since he moved here, girlfriends from all over the school that never lasted over a few weeks. I was just angry and jealous that he had everything, including his step father's very successful hotels, and he did nothing to give back. I looked at the problem I couldn't solve, and then I grabbed my phone.