Chapter 10

Sorry it's taken so long to write this but it's out! Please enjoy and hope you like it!
_____

My hands were quick to find the car door handle and I didn't even bother to close it behind me. I needed to get inside--my family was in danger.

"Liam, wait!" Mark shouted behind me. I didn't obey and instead let my feet take me to the porch. Mark's large hand grabbed my arm, pulling me away from the door. I tried to push him off but he was too strong.

"Why the hell are you stopping me?" I shouted. He kept his grip on me but I didn't stop trying to pull away.

"Listen, if the sound is what I think it was there's no way you're going inside," he said.

"No, that's exactly why I'm going inside. I know what it feels like to be attacked and that the person attacking has no self control," I said. It was directed towards him and what he was, and upon the realization he frowned. The cold stung my eyes and my face and it was a struggle not to totally freak out.

"That doesn't mean you can protect them. That person in there isn't just any shifter," he said. I furrowed my brows at his words.

"What do you mean? How could he be any more dangerous than you?" I asked. He frowned and noticed that he was still holding my arm before letting it drop and sighing.

"You know that I can only change during a full moon, right?" he asked.

"Yeah, so what?"

"Is it a full moon tonight?" I let his words sink in.

"What does that mean?" I asked. He looked menacingly at my front door, thinking about his next words carefully.

"The only people that can change without a full moon and control themselves are Alphas. Which means that if we just barge in there we would be going against a shifter even stronger than me," he said. I stared down at my feet in the dim light a street lamp offered, every finger of mine tingling from the cold. I balled up my fists and looked back up to him, a strong feeling rising in me.

"I don't care. It's been twenty minutes since I got that call, they could be..." I couldn't finish my words and instead turned back to my front door. None of the lights were on. His hand landed on my shoulder and I turned my head to the side, examining his every feature closely. He nodded and took my hand, leading me to my family home.

We reached the closed door and I lifted my shaking hand, compelling all the bravery inside me to somehow activate itself. The door swung open with a squeak, the inside of my house pitch black. I took a step inside and something crunched under my weight.

I found the light switch and flicked it on, seeing a pearly white glass scattered on the ground. It was my mother's vase. My heartbeat quickened and my chest sunk. Mark came in front of me, sniffing the air. His expression remained neutral but his eyes squinted.

"I smell blood," he said. I swallowed hard and let the flood of feelings rise.

"Can you tell whose it is?" I asked.

"Yes," he replied. My breath caught in my throat and I tried to push past him. His arm stopped me, his eyes glancing towards me. "It's not them." Confusion flittered on my face and his attention went to the living room. My eyes followed his gaze to the right, the light shining from the entryway illuminating on a tall thin figure.