Chapter 3

The beeping of the monitors was driving me crazy. I desperately wanted to sleep, but I couldn't. I had slept easily for the night all loopy on pain killers, but now the morning sun was creeping into my room through the window.

My family had finally left the room, to my worried request since Trish was crying all over me the whole time. She blamed the car crash on herself, that she shouldn't have rushed me home.

What Trish doesn't know is that it wasn't a car crash. Trish and my father had gone home, but I didn't feel alone. After what happened, I don't know if I ever wanted to be alone.

I was too disoriented then to really piece it all together, except for the fact that I knew who the monster was. Out of all that happened, that's all I could truly think at the time.

I could remember it clearly since I had been awake and no one offered me any more pain medication. I didn't want to feel the pain, but I hated the feeling of a dry mouth and a foggy mind. I was suffering, but my head was clear.

My condition wasn't that severe, but I was still needed for overnight observation and I had an IV sticking out of my right hand. I should be going home today.

I heard a knocking at my door and sighed.

"Please, can I just take it later? I know I can't really refuse without signing a waiver, but I can stall right?" I begged. My door creaked open and I weakly turned my head expecting to see a nurse.

"I'm afraid I'm not here to give you medication, though you look like you need it." Mark said. I gulped as he entered the room and my heart monitor went up a little bit. He scoffed and pulled up a chair only an inch away from the head of the bed.

"W-what are you doing here?" I asked, all the injuries in my body suddenly on fire. I gritted my teeth and my heart rate went up a little more.

"I needed to see you. I would have come last night, but you seemed a little busy." he said. I willed the pain to stop erupting like a volcano and surprisingly it did. I let out deep breaths and focused on the amused smile playing on his lips. "Get any owies from flipping out of your car?" he teased. I rolled my eyes and ignored the fading pain.

"Not that you care, but I got a sprained ankle, some bruised ribs, and just some other cuts and bruises from broken glass and practically flying out from my car." I said. Instead of shrugging it off or smirking again, he frowned.

"What do you think I am? A shifter, obviously. But," he leaned in, only an inch from my face,"I'm no monster. Yes, you've got some nicks here and there, but you're not dead." he said. I struggled to breathe and he sat back down in his chair, a sigh escaping him.

"Why didn't you kill me?" I asked, my voice to soft for any normal person to hear, but he wasn't normal. He exhaled loudly and ran his fingers through his hair.

"That's the thing. I don't really know. If anyone else was in that situation, I probably would have killed them. I don't have control of my body when I shift, but for some reason, right when I thought you were my next meal, I changed back. I've never done that before."

I tried in every way to process what he was saying, but I couldn't accept it. He's killed people before, I could feel it. Was it on purpose? Who knew.

"So... You're a werewolf." I said bluntly. He chuckled and flashed a smile that sent shivers down my spine.

"I mean, I guess so. But, I think I do a little more than any wolf can." he said. I moved my right side a little to quickly and whimpered. He focused on my face then looked at my side. "That your bruised rib?"

"Yeah, I didn't actually think you were listening." I said half heartedly. He looked me in the eyes and I felt the agonizing pain I had first felt when he came in gradually increase from a sting to a full on nerve rave under my skin.

I ground my teeth and balled up my fists. My eyes struggled to close, but staring into his golden gaze was irrefutable. Did he have gold eyes before?

"Don't fight it, I'm healing you. It hurts, but it'll stop." he said. I hit my fist against the bed and started to breathe, the pain from my side and everywhere else on my body subsiding. I didn't realize how quickly it was done, it felt like it had taken hours.

"I didn't know that werewolves had powers." I said releasing a breath I hadn't known I was holding. He shrugged and seemed to relax a little, sinking back into the seat and opening his posture. Trying to breathe again I shifted and expected a jolt of pain from my body, but there was nothing.

I lifted up my hospital gown to my torso gashes and bruises. I wasn't checking to see if Mark was looking because who cares? Just another male.

There was nothing. I looked up at Mark in shock, not believing what just happened. His face was smug, too smug. I swung my feet onto the ground and pulled my IV drip with me to the bathroom. I closed the door behind me and unbuttoned the gown completely, scanning my body in the mirror.

My sun kissed skin was clear and smooth, my torso flexing without pains. The scratches on my face and head had disappeared. I moved my short brown hair out of the way to check on the big gash on my forehead. Only there was nothing there. My blue eyes glanced at my short slim nose and my thin pink lips, everything in place.

"This is totally crazy... I have less scars from before this even happened. Dude, I have skin like a baby's butt." I mumbled to myself. I heard a crash from the room and opened the door, sticking my head out to see what happened. I saw water and the cheap rainbow daisies that my friends got me scattered on the floor.