Chapter 4

Glass was everywhere, and Mark was just standing and staring at it. I exhaled loudly and quickly got dressed, coming out to help clean up.

"You know, you broke it so you could at least help." I said. I crouched down and started to pick up glass, by myself. He suddenly started to laugh really loud, and I turned dramatically in his direction. "What?" I asked.

The back of his hand was lightly pressed against his mouth, his laugh obviously being forced down. He cleared his throat and slipped his hands into his jean pockets. His mouth twitched and he looked me right in the eyes.

"Dude, I have skin like a baby's butt." he mocked. He bursted out laughing again and I was in complete shock. He heard that?! I groaned and stood up, my IV getting stuck on his stupid chair and being ripped out forcefully.

I yelped and grabbed my hand, the gauze and tape that held the IV still stuck. His laughter seemed to die down a little as he inspected my hand. Now frustrated because of my hand being ripped open, I quickly pulled the gauze off with a painful yank.

I threw it on the ground, not particularly feeling like it deserved to be thrown away right now. I watched as my hand bled lightly, barely a trickle escaping. I made a mistake glancing in Mark's direction. His eyes caught mine and then my hand stung with a searing pain.

I cupped it and couldn't look away until the pain was gone and he finally blinked. I avoided his face and tried to find the cut that was just there, but it was just leftover blood that easily wiped away.

"God Mark, you could at least warn me so I don't die unexpectedly in the process of healing." I said angrily, sitting on the bed and not able to take my eyes off my hand. He sighed and sat down, the door opening and a worried looking nurse entering.

"Is everything all right? I was next door with a patient, otherwise I would have come sooner." she asked. An auburn lock fell in front of her face and then was pushed behind her ear. She wasn't my nurse, but my goodness was she beautiful.

"I just, uh, broke a vase. Yeah, that's what happened." I said. Her eyes widened as she saw the glass all over the floor.

"Oh wow. Let me help you clean it up." she said, closing the door behind her and coming towards me and the mess. She started to pick up the pieces, collecting them in the palm of her hand. There was no way she was any older than twenty four.

I got off the bed and started picking up pieces too.

"Don't worry about it, it's my mess." I said. I reached for the pieces and accidentally touched her hand, my face heating up. I was practically naked and this hot nurse had to come and help me clean up a mess that Mark made. Mark should be helping, not the nurse.

I glanced at Mark to see if he was checking her out too, but he just seemed bored. I ignored him and continued to pick up the pieces, making casual conversation with the nurse.

"So, uh, what's your name?" I asked. Smooth Liam, everyone wants to hear "uh" in a sentence. She chuckled and started to let glass slide off her hand and into a bin not even a foot away.

"It's Claire. And I know what you're thinking, I look way too young to be here. Well you're kind of right. I'm just following my mom around for my final project. I'm pretty convincing though, huh?" she responded. I laughed and threw away some glass.

"Yeah, you had me at the patient next door. Oh, I'm, uh, Liam by the way. So a project, huh? What sort of project?"

She shrugged and stopped to think.

"It's kind of hard to explain, but it's kind of like job shadowing for my civics class. Get out into the world of government and jobs and see what it's like blah blah blah. It's really not that interesting, but once I get through it I'll be passing my third year of high school." she explained, her green eyes flickering between me and the project at hand.

"So you're going to be a senior next after this summer?" I asked. She nodded and smiled.

"Yep. I don't know if I'll even make it through this project though. It's kind of intense and I'm surprised the hospital even let me do it."

I laughed and picked up the last visible piece of glass, letting it fall from my fingers.

"I think you're doing just fine. I'm actually finishing up my junior year, too. Maybe we even go to the same school."

She picked up my flowers and set them on the table beside my bed.

"Then you go to Grafton High?" she asked. I stood up and noticed I was a few inches taller than her, a satisfying thing to my minds eye. I wasn't short, but 5' 8" wasn't tall either.

"Uh no. I go to Hillbrook. Looks like we're rivals." I said. She smiled and nodded.

"I guess so. You look way too healthy to be in here; you even have your IV out." she said. I shrugged and ran my fingers through my short black hair.

"I was really just needed for observation. I should be getting discharged today." I said. With my injuries completely gone, I'm going to have to be discharged.

"Oh, well I probably won't see you around then. But, uh, it was nice talking... Liam?" She said. She sounded a little disappointed.

"Yeah, it was. See you--well, maybe." I said. I definitely sounded disappointed. She waved a little bit, saying goodbye to me and, maybe for the first time, noticing Mark. She exited the room and I sat back on the bed, staring at the puddle still on the floor.

"Dude, you didn't even try to talk to her. I thought you were a player and would be all over that." I said.

He grunted and stood up.

"Yeah, she's cute. There's a towel in the bathroom right?" he answered, making his way to the bathroom. I scoffed in disbelief.

"Just cute? You've had like every girl in our school and she's 'cute'?" I asked. He came back into the room, throwing the towel down over the water with unnecessary force.

"Okay, listen. I am not who you think I am. I've only dated one girl in my whole life, and even then that was in the sixth grade. All these rumors and girls who've said that they've done it with me are lying whores who need attention. All I did was say hello and maybe hang out with them to, I don't know, maybe have a friendship." he said. I think I hit a soft spot.

"Oh... I didn't know." I said.

"Yeah, no one does." he said. He sat back down, leaving the towel lying on the puddle uselessly. We sat in silence for a while, neither one of us knowing where to start. I noticed my phone plugged in next to me on the table.

I reached for it and checked the time. It was only 9:30 and I wished that all of this awkwardness would just be over already.

"Hey Liam?" he asked. I put my phone back and directed my attention towards him.

"Yes?" I asked.

"I'm gay." he abruptly threw at my face. My breath caught in my throat and I started to choke. It only took me a few seconds to find my voice and breath, but even then I didn't know what to do.

"What? Why?" I asked with a scratchy voice.

"Why? Why am I gay?"

"No, why did you just tell me that? That's usually something you tell to your friends." I said.

"Well, right now you're the closest I've had to having a friend in a while. What's even more sad is that I tried to kill you first."

I'm his friend? I didn't say anything for a minute, I just stared blankly at my feet hanging off the bed.

"Well then why don't you tell me who you really are? I'd like to know you as someone else rather than just rumors." I said. He leaned back in his chair and folded his arms, thinking about something with an amusing expression on his face.

"I'm 16, drive a nice motorcycle, am super smart, have a wonderful and loving 5 year old sister named Brandy, and I'm a werewolf." he said. I laughed and regained focus on his eyes.

"Sounds nice." I said. He nodded.

"It really is."