Chapter 2

Watching small patches of trees glide by did nothing to ease my nerves. Every slice and crevice in the dark foliage was a place it could hide. The shadows cast by the bright and cheery moon fell from the trees and into my car, suffocating me. In the dark, my own hands and eyes were no longer my allies.

The heat was on, but cold sweat still dropped down the side of my face and never became warm.

This creature, this... monster, had to be after me. I saw it in its true form, surely it would need to kill all witnesses. What was it, and what could it do? I only got a fuzzy glimpse of it, but it looked like a huge wolf. What if it could teleport? Oh no, wait, then I'd already be dead.

The aftertaste of the adrenaline was taking its toll, making my limbs shaky and my breathing heavy. I glanced at the radio, thinking that maybe some music or talking would calm me down. No such luck as voices weaved in and out of static; I was too far out.

I frowned thinking about Mark, worrying but also cursing him for living so damn far away in his fancy house where I can't even find a neighbor and make a phone call. I was screwed, I was so screwed.

I looked out my windows nervously, shifting my body and feeling a bulk in my pocket.

"Oh my god yes." I said to myself, digging into my pocket and retrieving Mark's phone. I speedily tried to get into the log history with one hand, my shaky fingers failing me. I looked out all the windows, pulling onto the side of the road and stopping. I locked the doors with a satisfying click and tried to call Trish again.

I tried to keep my breathing steady, but just sitting here, vulnerable, made me panic even more.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

"C'mon Trish, come on." I pleaded into the phone.

"Hello? Is this you again Liam?" Trish answered.

"Yes, it's me. Listen, I'm going to get home late." I said, looking at the clock on the dash, the dull green numbers reading 12:15.

"What? Why?"

"Well, I was chased by a monster and now I'm driving away in terror. I don't even think I'm going the right way." I confessed.

"Whatever Liam, I don't have time for this, I am not going to be late for this, you understand me?" she asked, obviously annoyed. I sighed and fidgeted in my seat, scanning all the windows for caution. The last window I reached was mine, and the trees were suddenly blocked.

"Liam? Hello? I'm going to hang up if you don't at least say yes ma'am." she squeaked through the phone. There was absolutely no way I could answer her right now. "What are you breathing so hard for? It's a simple answer. I'm not just going to listen to--"

The window shattered and my whole body went frigid, my arms instinctively going to shield my face. Screaming was impossible at this point, only raspy gasps escaping me. I don't know if Trish had hung up or not, but it was too late to wonder as the monster reached for me through the window.

I finally started to fight back, dropping the phone and using my fresh adrenaline. The monster was more successful than me, my body being jerked through the window and several jolts of pain shooting through me.

I think I was yelling, maybe the words I heard were mine, but I couldn't tell. I only thought one thing at this point.

I'm going to die.

I'm going to die, me. Surviving this long did nothing for me. I was going to die.

The heavy panting and breathing brought me back to the moment, my face cold and wet. I was being held by the creature, trees blurring past too quickly for my liking. I struggled to wrench myself away, but then I was released and I rolled on my sides a few times.

I hated inertia, I hated how dizzy and weak I felt. Crap, I felt sick. I made sure to push myself up before the bile reached my lips. My eyes watered and my breath wouldn't regulate. I gasped for air, pulling myself away from my watery mess.

When I tried to get up, my right ankle fell beneath me. I turned my head and looked at it, the angle normal but the feeling not. In fact, there was no feeling. It was just limp. My face felt wet and sweaty, so I wiped it with my bare palm and came back with something that wasn't sweat.

I stopped as something moved right across from me, the blurry figure too large and too dark to truly see. But I knew that it was what had been after me this whole time. I felt drained, my soul and mind too exhausted to work together to move my body.

I managed to speak words, but they weren't loud enough. I used all my energy and will this time, words leaving my mouth.

"G-get the hell away from me!" I yelled at the monster before me. It didn't budge, only stared at me with a hypnotizing gaze. I was terrified, but I couldn't move. The creature held itself up on four legs, still resembling a wolf but being ten times the size of one.

It moved closer. I whimpered as another step was taken towards me. Only a foot away now. It started to stand on its hind legs, and I shut my eyes- I was done for. I felt a huff of hot breath that left a lingering scent of fresh rain. A sob escaped me, and fresh tears on my face turned cold quickly.

"Open your eyes." A male voice said. I felt another hot breath on my face, and I opened my eyes. I couldn't stop shaking.

"Mark?" I whimpered. He nodded and his eyes scanned my body, his features becoming blurry and then coming back together again. I couldn't reach my face anymore, I couldn't pull my arms around him when he picked me up. Was my body finally catching up with everything that just happened?

"Where'd it go?" I asked. Mark didn't answer me. "Mark? Mark. Mark!" I yelled, but suddenly he was becoming farther away, and I couldn't feel his arms around me anymore. My back felt cold and a squealing crash sounded behind me. My fingers twitched and my eyes moved, but I couldn't see what was happening.

I could hear new sounds, like sirens, and then yelling. All I saw was the moon, right above me. I felt another pair of arms wrap around me, then I was lifted onto a moving but flat surface. My head fell to my side and I saw Trish's car, flipped and way off into the trees-not how I left it at all.

People were trying to talk to me, but I couldn't listen. I could only close my eyes and feel the tears fall. My mind was finally thinking, and I realized something.

That wasn't a monster.

That was Mark.