Chapter 11

I had always disliked my math class. Alphabetical order, snarky class clowns sprinkled across the room just close enough to cause trouble at a moments notice; the annoying kid who sat in front of me who just couldn't seem to get a clue.

"How come you never put my calculator back for me at the end of class? I put yours back that one time," annoying kid asked. Yeah, he was definitely one of the reasons.

"I never asked you to do that, you took it while I wasn't paying attention," I said. His carp fish lips pulled into an amused smile.

"Am I getting on your nerves?"

"Yes, so if you could pay attention to the lesson so I don't have to explain it to you later that'd be great."

He chuckled and turned back in his seat. I felt the pressure of anger well up inside me and I let out a heavy sigh. Nothing I did or said to this kid would ever get him to stop. I usually don't give into his annoying ploys to aggravate me, but for some reason today, I felt on edge.

There was a feeling inside me, something that was on the tip of my tongue that I just couldn't taste. It was almost... like a void.

"And now before I pass out the worksheet today, which I might add I'm giving you the whole weekend to do," Mrs. Colby said from the front of the room, "I would like to tell you that your partnered projects have been graded and are in the system." Anger threw a punch inside my chest.

"Finally, it's been like a month since we turned those in," a girl behind me said to her friend beside her.

"Only took one Christmas break and then some," The friend said before they laughed softly.

Mrs. Colby talked while she handed out the worksheets, licking her finger every few pages to pass down the rows. I couldn't help but frown in disgust. Annoying kid passed me mine and I set my mind to solving equations. Exponents, combining like terms, everything that had my mind off of everyone around me and just on the work.

As I neared the last few problems the bell rang. Without a care about organization I slipped the worksheet and my notes into my backpack and zipped it up. I stood and pulled my backpack over my shoulder, grabbing my calculator and putting it back in its plastic case when another got shoved into my field of vision. I looked up to see annoying kids face, a playfully disgusting smile on his lips.

"Fuck off Deacon," I said as I walked away and tossed my calculator into the basket before walking out.
_____

"You really told him to fuck off?" my friend Josh asked. I nodded with a smile as we walked into the noisy school parking lot.

"Yeah, maybe I should have said a lot more, but knowing him he'd either throw a punch or make math class more of a hell than it already is."

"You could always just drop out of school like that dude Mark did," he said. I chuckled and stopped as a car drove past.

"At least I won't be leaving a two hundred point project for someone else to complete and fail on."

We walked again and music blared from a persons car. "Was the grade really that bad?" I looked at his face and noticed how the tip of his nose was red from the cold.

I looked away when his dark blue eyes met mine.

"It's only a c, but that'll bring my grade down more than it'll help it. "

"Sorry about that man. If only your partner could have waited just a bit longer."

"Yeah," was all I said in response. We neared his tan truck and we stopped walking.