N I N E

"Pride, envy, avarice - these are the sparks that have set on fire the hearts of all men."

-Xamdú

________________

Music played throughout the tavern. It drowned out Karos' senseless thoughts of Fariel and Ake. Even the slightest thought of him touching him with those foul hands and dirty mouth in any way, made him want to rip his jugular from his throat.

"Let him be angry with me! I could not care less!" Karos shouted cup close to his lips. Everything tasted bitter when he was upset. It mattered little to what it was.

"I accepted his preference as I accept the sky as it is."  

"Ka—"

"The wind, the ocean, the trees, Analia, the trees!" he drawled on. "But I cannot accept this."

Karos noticed Analia smiling against her own cup, only taking sips here and there, too amused by his outbursts. He saw it on her face, but he would not relent. 

"You took him to a brothel, Karos. A male brothel." 

 "And what of it? I rather he whore around with other men than my friend wanting nothing more than carnal desires!"

"Who says he is involved with him? You are jumping to false conclusions!" 

"Ah, their closeness warranted such thoughts! Even as we drink, he is with him! In—in his room, to say the least!" he yelled again exasperated this time. "What am I to do when a lion has a lamb in his den?"

"He is a man grown. Leave him be, Karos. You are not his keeper, nor his older brother." 

"I worry."

"You dote," Analia responded back trying to withhold a laugh. "Be sober tonight. They say soldiers are coming into town. We may have to share rooms for our last night here."

"Ake is sleeping with me." How could Ake grow so close, so fast to a human man he had barely even known for a week? he questioned. He could not even weave a full Ganish sentence together for the god's sake! 

"He will not have you in his presence."

"It has been days now. Will he not ever tire? All he ever is is angry. A little, angry ball of fire that he is. How can someone be so small and hold that much anger? It baffles me." Analia laughed then as Karos downed his drink and cut his eyes away from her. 

"I will be sure to have him and I room together. Will that appease your motherly mind?"

"Very much so." He poured himself another drink before emptying the cup in mere seconds.

Nothing but the smell of cheap perfumes and musk filled the air intermingling along with the upbeat music. The voices of people all around him were loud and rambunctious, too gleeful, too joyous. It reminded him of how much life was stolen from him. How much blood laid on his hands. 

"Come, let us dance before you begin plotting murder in your mind." Analia grabbed his hand and pulled him into the middle of the crowd of people just before the dance begun. A simple palms dance. 

Karos gave her a bow as Analia gave him back one in return. As the music started, his left hand raised as her right hand had risen. Soon, their palms pressed together.

"There. There on your right. Do you see him?"

"... I do."

"Be rid of him by sunrise. I will handle the last of them." 

They moved in circles around one another until they switch hands and went in the opposite direction.

"I will do away with him cleanly."