F O U R T E E N

"Words are only painted fire; a look is the fire itself."

-Xamdú

___________________________

Ake watched as the fire burned between the five of them. The embers turned from brown to yellow to red. After a while, it charred smelling as what fires always smell of. It brought a sense of calmness to him he knew Fariel had known and told Karos of.  After a couple of seconds, his eyes went to Fariel's who continued to chew on a leg of deer, not bothering to say a word. The scent of it wafted over to Ake which made his stomach growl. Still, he felt sick and was in no need of food just yet. The tension was burning and Ake had an ill feeling of what Fariel's intentions were now. 

A dragon, such as him, should never be trusted. He had been in a state of purgatory for well over a hundred years. Too much time with the humans could corrupt one's morals and values, Ake thought as his attention shifted to Karos.

He observed him talking to Analia in low whispers, too quiet and far away for even him to hear. Soon, he just settled with looking at him. He took in the bruisings to his sides he had given him out of anger and frustration and Ake knew they still hurt by the way he wrapped his arm around his side. Even if he were to ask about it, Karos would feign unhurt and brush it off as a light bruising.

His eyes softened after a moment in thought as his gaze grew less critical. Ake knew he was growing too fond of the human. He was too easy to forgive, too quick to comfort. He understood every last word Karos said to him and it was surprising how immediate the empathy came. 

Karos looked up as Analia rose and walked over towards where Fariel was. Karos' eyes met his for the briefest moment before they fell. No matter the length of time, Ake always felt what went unsaid. Karos wore all of his emotions on his face. It mattered very little how hard he tried to suppress them. He knew he was upset about his friends and about what he had done. Ake was just as upset, if not more when he killed a friend of his. 

Yet, he was more upset about Ake leaving him. It baffled Ake for a moment until he realized the human went on and grew some kind of attachment to him.

"Karos."

His eyes met with Ake's again.

"Nal anu." Come here. Ake watched as he hesitated. "Nal anu, le menai amurrete." Come here, my pet. Fariel shot him a look which Ake paid no mind to. Karos was a friend to him as he was to Fariel, despite the little time they had known one another compared to him. 

Ake did his best to rise, ignoring the aches and pain that came with the simplest of movements. His transformation came out of need and it was sudden, too quick for his body to adapt to. It mattered very little to him, however. He would not have let a single thing happen to him, no matter how much he angered him. 

As usual, Ake took a moment to look over Karos checking for any wounds or injuries he could not see or notice. His hands felt the top part of his chest going down to his sides. 

"Li ash ne?" Are you well?

"Na ó," Karos said back averting eye contact which only made Ake smile. 

Ake gave it a tight squeeze causing Karos to hiss out. 

"Menda." Liar. 

He said some human words before trying to back away, but Ake kept him there. Always having to look after him, Ake thought before scoffing away another smile. He did not feel warm, as always but he liked the touch of his skin against his.

Before Ake could reach his face, Fariel came up to them pushing Karos away from him all the while. 

"What is that you are doing?"