E L E V E N

"Valor is stability, not of legs and arms, but of courage and the soul."

-Xamdú

____________________

The cold surrounded him everywhere. No amount of warmth from the sun could warm him. As much as he tried to muscle down the bitter feeling growing in his chest, the very sun reminded him of Ake. Why he had such a hold on him troubled Karos, but he did his best to feign unhurt. 

Through death, they traveled the very lands together. As soon as he found some solace within his kin, he abandoned him. Was that all he wanted of him, to find someone of his likeness? Karos scoffed before kicking a rock out of his path. 

He was simmering. No amount of days could quell his hidden anger though he knew he should not be. Ake deserved to go home. Yet, his absence still left a lingering sense of betrayal. 

Karos took a look at Fariel and noticed his unease growing by the hour. His hands balled into fists and his body tensed. Sweat came pouring down his face as if it was hot. Something was wrong.

Soon, his eyes took him to Analia who was busy picking away the dirt from underneath her nails. It was not as if the rest of her body was free of it. He nudged Analia and pointed to Fariel who had the look of fear in his eyes now. 

"Did you cheat someone out of their wares around here, again?" Analia inquired causing Fariel to purse his lips. 

"Did I not tell you the ways of a merchant is not to sell your own body for wares, but to sell the things you buy?" she added which caused Fariel to scoff with a shakiness about him." I do not feel any ounce of pity for you." 

"What has you so bothered, Fariel?" Karos questioned this time.

"Enough of the questions. You will not like the answers I give you. You would not believe me."

"Ake is a dragon. You both were quick to accept that. I am sure whatever you have to say to us will not strike us so much as unbelievable." Analia nodded in agreement.

"... It has begun."

"What has?" The moment Karos asked that question, the ground shook and the sky darkened. Analia laughed uncomfortably as she hugged herself a little tighter, the air growing colder. 

"Karos give me the stone. You must get rid of it now!" 

"Stone? Fariel what in the god's name—" Fariel grabbed onto Karos' shirt and pushed him down onto the ground with the strength of hundreds of men. 

"Fariel get off of him!" Analia shouted trying to intervene by shoving Fariel off of him. "This is no time to be attacking one another!" 

Karos turned himself around and tried to rise, but Fariel grabbed his leg and pulled him back down. He rolled him over despite his reluctance and peeled away his shirt.

 "What spirit has possessed you?" Karos shouted pushing his hands away with his arms. 

"This is what is best!" 

"Fariel, had you lost your mind? Would you like for me to go and find it?" Karos yelled. He still struggled with Fariel as his hands roamed up his chest paying special mind to his birthmark. His cool hands on the left side of his chest causing his eyes to close and head to shake.

"Why would you ever leave Ake behind? The beasts will come now! The creatures of light and darkness..."

The trees rustled and hundreds of pair of feet crunching onto the layers of snow went through each and every one of their ears. Everyone looked at one another with a sinking feeling in their chests. It was in all of their eyes. Whatever that was in those woods was enormous and riffled with bad aura.