T W E N T Y - S I X

"Beauty took my breath away, and a kiss then stole my heart. God of Mercy help me, for I have fallen in love with ruin."

-Xamdù

_____________________________

Ake allowed them to pin his hair up as was done with all dragons. For the festival, he knew all eyes would be on him. All of his brothers and sisters would be there as well.

His attendants cleaned his face with a soft cloth before patting it dry with another. Soon, they began working on his white robe, straightening it until there was no sign of a single wrinkle.

All along the sides were black and embellished with gold.  Instead of a normal sash to match, he wore an orange ribbon on top symbolizing his relation to his sister. It also meant that he was unmarried. He felt an earring dangling off his right ear causing his eyes to narrow.

His sister expected him to have a plan, but he hadn't the slightest idea. Karos was here, unannounced, along with friends, and that was worrying him the most. He could think of nothing else besides him and it troubled him.

He pressed a finger to his lips as he felt his heart unsteadying, just drumming and drumming. The thought of seeing him, however, seemed to drown out all the other worries. Ake could not wait to see him.

"There you are...My Prince."

Ake heard the music all the way from his rooms. He knew his father would be calling on him soon. It was getting late.

"Eria, my dearest friend...do not be saddened by this day. Her heart will always belong to you. However, she must marry another."

Her eyes fell from his.

"It is as it always was. We do not marry for love. That is a luxury we may not ever be able to have."

"...I know that, My Prince."

"Look lively at the festival, as I must. I will think of something. You know I always do."

She goes on and hugs him causing Ake's eyes to widen from the suddenness.

"I will be in your greatest of debts. Just, please... I beg of you, do not allow for this to go forward."

Ake gave her a nod before he left out the door. He could not promise her anything. As he looked up, he saw more of his attendants waiting outside of his room.

"Right this way... Our Prince," they all said in unison.

He took in a deep breath and let them escort him to the festivities. There was no way he could not attend. Rows and rows of people began to bow down as Ake passed by them. So much familiar faces, he thought.

"My Most Honored One," he heard many dragons say in low voices as they bowed their heads down.

The moment he stepped into the room, Ake took a step back for a moment. Everything was too grand, too beautiful to his liking. Everyone looked gorgeous. There was flowers littered all around the dancing area. It smelled of wine, flowers, and love.

The dance hall cleared as he walked through to greet his parents.

"Ake, my dear child!"

His mother came and hugged him kissing both of his cheeks all the while.

"Ah, you look just as grand as your sister and she the one to be wed!" She smiled once more before placing another kiss on his cheek.