T E N

"Our true self is being who we are." 

-Xamdú

____________________

When the beams of sunlight shot through the shutters, Ake's eyes widened and quickly awoke with a panic. He struggled with his confines until the rope tore into his flesh. Still, he tried to no avail. 

He could still feel the burn of obsidian pressing against his neck. Soon, drops of blood leaked from his neck from the unhealed wound. The Eunalians had fashioned weapons against them after centuries of dispute and warfare. Ake just never thought he would ever see one. How could he had been so blind to a Eunalian staring right in front of his eyes? 

"Ah, so you have awakened? Settle down now. No harm will come to you," Nanamus said in their language causing Ake to hiss.

"The fault of you not being able to recognize your own brethren when you see them does not lie with me. Look to self." 

"Save me your drivels. You and your ilk are in no relation to me or my kind." Ake knew he spoke false. He very well knew, they were in strong relation with one another, but he was angry and would honor no such blood. 

"To be fair, I only know you as what you are by the simple touch of your skin and that gorgeous face of yours. Truly, I thought you as a slave, a mere servant." He paused for a moment. "But blood never lies, does it?"

Ake felt nauseous, eyes blurring, head fogging. He feigned strong in front of him, but the sweat pouring from his forehead only caused Nanamus to smile. 

"Ashinberry. Quite poisonous to you and your kind is it not? First, you feel drowsy. Then, the need to vomit surfaces as the juice of the berries melt down your very insides. After a while, blood soon comes to pour out every orifice of your body." Nanamus held up a small, red berry with golden leaves covering the top of it. He eyed Ake for a reaction, but one never came.

"Forgive me, but I cannot have you turn into your beastly self and burn down this village. Already, it has burned three times. We do not need another."

Ake rose muscling down the drowsiness. He stretched his arms, now unable to feel so much pain in doing so. Eunalians tend to forget, dragons can endure as much pain as death could bring. 

"Ak—" The rope snapped and Ake was quick to wrap his hands around his throat. Nanamus' eyes went wide then clawing at anything and everything he could get his hands on. However, nothing was within his reach.

"Where have you taken me?" Ake yelled. "Where is Karos? Where is he?" 

Ake grew frustrated at his silence. He rose Nanamus' head from the floor only to bang it back hard against it. 

"Speak!"

"We brought you here, not for malice, but for mercy!" Nanamus pleaded. 

"I cannot care less about your intentions!"

"Be at peace!" Ake's grip tightened around his throat. 

"The humans are ok. They are resting. They are well!" he breathed causing a rush of calmness to go through Ake. He released his tight grasp on his neck after reason gave way. He could not care less about Fariel or Analia. 

"You are quite volatile," Nanamus rasped only getting the response of a grunt from Ake.

"I tend to become that way when you, admittedly, poison me."

"I could not—" Ake cut him off.

"You poison me and then ask me for my mercy?" Ake shouted growing dizzy at the utterance.