F O R T Y

"It is well for the heart to be naive and the mind not to be."

-Xamdú

_______________________

Ake looked at Gretcha with much distrust and skepticism. Since he could remember, he was always taught that griffins were their greatest enemy because they were their greatest weakness. Their talons could rip through hinds and cut through scales like paper.  Although they were much smaller in size compared to them, in a group they were deadly to any dragon. What griffin would turn their back on their god to help a dragon? 

"Are you leading us into a trap?" Ake finally questioned as he looked around their surroundings. They were in the open desert. He saw a lake further out in the distance 

"Yes, she would answer that question truthfully, Ake," Errol drawled causing Ake to narrow his eyes. "So naive and so trusting, stupid little brother." 

Ake scoffed and glared away from him. He was letting him say whatever that free-mouth of his wanted because he owed him much as annoying as he was. As far as he knew, he was all he had left. He was his brother no matter what he did. Ake closed his eyes before looking at him again.

Another reason why Ake held his tongue was because Errol had flown them a little passed Ul before his strength gave way. Instead of the dress of royal dragons, he wore Ulnian clothes all baggy and ill-fitting on him.  However, his dark brown hair and eyes matched the typical features of an Ulnian. His skin was golden and tanned much like his, so he could only blend in so much. 

Gretcha turned her head to look at him but was quick to snap her head back forward in a rush. A wave of black hair slapped him in the face as result causing him to turn his head and shield his eyes. 

"Oh, I see. So you have a bit of a crush on my little brother? Is that it?"

Errol walked faster until he stood in front of her. Ake was quick to catch up to them and bent down to look at her lowered face. Unlike them, her skin was pale causing her blush to become apparent. Ake blinked for a moment, feeling a bit embarrassed. 

"That is not it," she mumbled and pushed passed Errol. "Do not ask such questions when here I am saving your lives. My reason should not matter to you." Errol grabbed her wrist but she tugged away and hissed at him causing him to take a step back and release her arm.

"My, Ake, you just have a way with all walks of life, it seems like. Human, griffin, I suppose it does not matter. I believe it is this red hair of yours." Errol went a touched his hair. Ake moved his head away from him. "Attracts them like insects to light but little do they know that light would kill them." 

 "I told you that is not it!" she yelled.

"Leave the girl alone, Errol." 

"Then tell us your reason. I will walk no further until you do!"

Ake watched as Gretcha clenched her fists and turned around with a glare and brightening red blush. 

"It is for Karos... "

"Karos?" Both Errol and he said at once. 

"I could see it in his eyes when he looks at you," her head lowered, "how much he loves you." 

"Gods be good, she is trying to kill us," Errol said as he shook his head. 

Ake grabbed his arm before he could walk away. 

"Is it possible to fall in love with someone like that and in that way?" she questioned.

"Do you not believe you are a bit young for him? You are a child." Ake shook Errol causing him to wrestle out of his grasp.