4

I woke from a dreamless sleep in the most comfortable bed I had ever slept in. I rubbed my eyes and stretched out.

Oh shit.

What time was it?!

I frantically scrambled for my phone but it was dead. Why the hell were there no clocks in here??

Suddenly the night came crashing back to me and I sat on the bed.

I had been stalked--protected, whatever, for five years. Daniel had been cheating on me and now I was homeless and spent the night in the mansion of a vampire that had admitted to having me obsessively followed.

And now I probably missed class.

I buried my face in my pale hands and let out a frustrated groan. Well, only thing to do now was find Micah. At least he might give me some sort of answer to the mess these last twenty-fours hours had become. Then I would get ready and go to work.

If only I could remember how to find his office...

I stepped into the hall having completely forgotten where I was in the house. I was only greeted by more hallways and I felt like I was going in circles. Damn it, I was hungry and frustrated and just wanted to find Micah!

I wandered around for a few minutes longer only finding closed doors and priceless pieces of artwork. The hardwood floors stretched to every corner of the mansion in such a deep finish I could nearly see my reflection. It was clear Micah spared no expense in developing this place.

I groaned and leaned against a wall finally giving up.

"Micah where are you," I said to myself.

Within seconds, I noticed him walking around the corner. How convenient.

"You were looking for me?" He asked with a light smile. Jesus, in the pale light of morning he was magnificent. His pale blue dress shirt complimented his light gray slacks which all complimented his overwhelming sex appeal.

"Um..yes," I managed to stutter out like a complete fool, "What time is it?"

He glanced at his watch, "11:45."

I groaned, "Great."

"Don't worry. I had Allan take the liberty of emailing your professors and all were more than willing to excuse the absence."

"Seriously?"

"I felt I handled our situation incorrectly last night." He said, brushing off my rhetorical question.

I laughed, "I would have to agree."

"Perhaps I shouldn't have kept you in the dark but you must understand where I am coming from. I didn't want to completely overwhelm you."

I cocked my head to the side mulling over his statement, "I think you've underestimated me."

He smiled softly, "I agree. So, I've carved out an hour to spend with you."

My eyebrows raised at that, "That's an interesting way to put it. I thought I was the most important thing?" I asked. I wasn't being malicious with my question; I was genuinely curious.

"You are. Which is why I have put everything else on hold. Trust me when I say every moment of my day is always triple booked."

I nodded, "Allan said something interesting last night."

"I heard. I imagine you are curious," he mused, "You seem to have accepted the fact that I'm a vampire."

"I have. I mean, it's kind of obvious."

"I am also king."

That shocked the hell out of me and I was certain it showed on my face.

"Um king?" I squeaked.

He nodded once.

How-

I was confused.

"So why me?"

That million dollar question. Why had he chosen to follow me? He could have absolutely anyone he wanted so why me? I was just an average twenty-three year old. There was nothing unique, nothing special about me. I didn't come from a rich or powerful family. I had no political connections. So why me?

"You are the most important person not only to me but to any enemies I might have. You willingly accept everything I've told you because we belong together. Because you're human, you don't feel it as strongly as I do but if you allow me to turn you I promise you won't regret it."

"You are asking me to take a huge leap of faith, Micah. I don't know you at all and although I seem like I'm easily accepting all this, I still feel like I'm insane."

"I know. I know it is asking a lot but I just need you to do this one thing. It is very important that you are turned as soon as possible. It is not safe for you to stay human."

"Why?"

"I am on the brink of a preternatural war and because of who you are to me and this race, you will be a target. I cannot always be around and I need to know that if something were to happen to me, you would be able to defend yourself and this race."

I stared at him blankly, "You're joking, right? You expect me to run an entire race of people in your absence?"

"Of course."

"Are you out of your damn mind?! I don't know how to do that! Christ, I can barely run my own life, Micah! I didn't even know the man I lived with was cheating on me!"

"I think you knew," he said quietly, "I think you ignored it."

I exhaled roughly, "Whatever. I'm twenty-three with absolutely no experience."

"I was twelve when my father died and I was forced to rule. How much experience do you think I had?" He asked tightly.

Well, there I go putting my foot in my mouth.

I could tell he was annoyed with my defiance. I had a feeling he was expecting me to just go along with this but I couldn't just go along with everything he was saying. The rational side of me screamed to reexamine the situation but I knew that he was being totally honest. I knew he was doing what he thought was best for me and his kingdom and I really couldn't argue with that. It was just a lot to take in at once.

I couldn't really respond so I crossed my arms and stared at the ground. What could I say? He just told me his father died when he was twelve and he was forced to rule. How do I begin to apologize for being so insensitive? I was being selfish, really. Everything he had done in the last five years directly benefited me; he protected me at all cost and I wouldn't doubt that he played a huge role in how comfortably I lived.

"I'm sorry," I said quietly, still unable to look at him. I always had a hard time apologizing even if something was my fault.

"It was a very long time ago. Don't think you offended me, Emma," he responded though his voice was void of any real emotion.

"When were you turned?" I asked.

"I wasn't. I am pure which is a requirement of being royal."

"Then how would you expect me to rule?" I asked confused.

"We are all created with a perfect match, our other half. Humans, vampires, were creatures, all of us. You are mine so that gives me permission to turn you making you of royal blood."

"You couldn't turn me if I wasn't your match?"

"Mate, and no. It's against the law for a royal to turn anyone except their mate. There would be far too many possibilities for a ruler and we would end up in a war because of it."

I nodded. Leave it to me to end up in a situation like this. I thought about everything he was telling me and it really did make sense. Why else would I be so at ease with him? Why would I come to his home and have these discussions with him as if we had known each other forever? I was never one to fall fast and hard; I had much too stable a mind for childish things like that but something about Micah had me mesmerized. He had me for as long as he would accept me and hopefully that wouldn't change. After all, what else was I going to do? Faith made life worth living in my opinion so why not try and see where things go with him?

I took a deep breath as I wrapped my hands together tightly.

"Okay, Micah. You can turn me on one condition," I warned. He quietly awaited my condition though I had to admit it sounded silly even in my head, "I want to get to know you first. I want you to spend time with me and let me know who you really are not just this business side you present."

He frowned at me skeptically, "I don't 'present' a business side. This is who I am."

"I find it hard to believe all you do is think about ruling your race. You must enjoy some leisurely activity."

"I enjoy being around you," he said thoughtfully.

I laughed, "As touching as that is, I can't be the only thing you enjoy."

A mischievous smirk crossed his perfect lips, "I would beg to differ. You are rather interesting. Especially when you think no one is watching."

I scoffed, "I am not. I don't do anything extraordinary in my alone time. Unless you consider homework fascinating."

"Not particularly but the things you do are rather entertaining. For example, every year about a week before finals you fill your freezer with pizza rolls because that's all you eat."

I felt my cheeks blush a light pink at his intimate knowledge of my habits. Not even Daniel knew about my eating habits. He would just feed himself because he knew how I got around finals.

"I also think it's rather adorable when you read aloud and discuss literature with yourself."

He was enjoying this far too much. I buried my face in my hands and groaned.

"Seriously?!"

He laughed, "You are a very smart woman, Em. I'm not just saying that because of who you are to me. I've heard your conclusions and they are very insightful."

"Stop, stop," I said as I shook my head totally embarrassed.

He laughed lightly again, "Alright. I'll stop. But really, there's not much to me. I'm fairly easy to please."

"I find that hard to believe. You think you're easy to please but I bet if I asked around I would get a different story."

His knowing smirk let me know I was right. He knew he wasn't easy to please and I wondered how hard it would be for him to accept me as I was. I didn't plan on changing anything about myself and I hoped he would be fine with that. He may know me from watching me and gathering intelligence but he didn't really know me.

"In all seriousness, Emma, please give me a chance. I know you can be happy with me if you just try."

I bit my lip. I knew what he was asking me. I knew he was asking me to let him try a romantic relationship with me. Could I really do that so quickly after ending things with Daniel? Something about Micah just felt right. I knew I could trust him. I knew he would never hurt me and I should just accept him. Why the hell not? I never let myself just live and if he turned out to be psychotic, lesson learned.

I nodded, "I'll try just don't push it too fast. I mean, I did just meet you like, twelve hours ago."

He laughed lightly but nodded once in agreement.

I sighed, "Well, I guess I should start getting ready for work."

He frowned, "I'm sorry, Emma, but that is one thing I really must insist you not do."

"What is your deal with me working?"

"You shouldn't have to work. You hate it and it takes up too much of your time. You should be studying and focused on school not some job."

What was I supposed to say to that? He had a point; I hated my job but I still had to work. I had to pay off student loans somehow.

"I still have things I have to pay for, Micah. Student loans don't just disappear," I said, laughing lightly at how stubborn he was being.

"I've already paid your student loans. As of nine AM you were debt free. No car payments, no cell phone bill, and certainly no student loans."

I couldn't help the look of bewilderment that encompassed my features. He just acted so nonchalant about paying off things that would have taken me the next ten years to pay off. How could he so casually spend that much money on me after just meeting me? Clearly, he was quite wealthy but I didn't need him to pay my debts. I could handle it myself and while I always told myself it would be amazing if someone else paid off my debt, I found myself not being able to accept his generosity.

"Micah-" I started but he held a hand up.

"I know you are going to refuse to allow it but it is already done. It's pointless for you to argue because even if I didn't have the means to pay it all off I would find a way. I want to take care of you, Em, so let me."

I thought about it for a moment but my proud and proper upbringing caused me to shake my head. I couldn't accept it; especially when I hardly knew him. I knew he wanted to take care of me but I could take care of myself. On the other hand, after examining his serious expression, I knew I was in a losing battle. If he had already done those things there was no turning back but I could at least minimize future things from happening. I knew I wasn't winning the work battle so I might as well succumb to his wish instead of creating a bigger headache for myself. Who knows, maybe I could enjoy some free time. I couldn't remember the last time I just took a day for myself. I had been working and going to school since I was twelve. I worked in my grandparent's pharmacy until it closed then I had worked in the same retail store ever since. I never had the chance to go out as a teenager. Not that I would now but to actually have time to sleep would be amazing. I could finish my homework before three in the morning and SLEEP.

I sighed, "You're really not going to let me win this one, are you?"

He smirked, "Absolutely not."

I nodded absently, "Fine. I'll quit but I need to give notice."

"Why?"

"I can't just not show up, Micah," I said with a small laugh, "I've worked there for six years."

"So? You won't be using them as a reference," he said sarcastically.

"No but it's rude to not give notice. How would you like it if someone stopped showing up?"

He rolled his eyes slightly, "Fine, fine. Give notice if you must but no longer than two weeks. I would prefer if today would be your last day."

I crossed my arms, "We'll see...May I ask a favor?"

"Anything," he responded.

"Will you take me back to my apartment to get my things?"

"I will send Allan to fetch your things," he offered.

"I want to get them myself. And I want you to go with me."

He looked slightly skeptical for a moment but agreed nonetheless.

"We can go now if you'd like. I don't have much time, unfortunately."

I nodded in agreement, "I'll get dressed."