21

"Can you just meet them another time?" I begged as we walked up to my parent's house.

I wanted them to meet Micah, really I did but I was also dreading it. I knew he would be perfectly respectable but what if they didn't approve of this? What if they verbalized their disapproval? I guess it didn't matter since it was my life but I couldn't stand knowing I disappointed my parents and how horrible would Micah feel about their rejection? What if he decided my relationship with my parents was more important than our relationship and left me?

"Do you not want me to meet them?"

"It's not that!" I assured, "It's that they know I just broke up with Daniel and when I tell them we're engaged they're going to be disappointed in me."

"It will be fine, Emma. For the first few years they are going to hate me but they'll get over it."

"I don't want them to hate you," I admitted.

"I don't want them to hate me either," he said with a laugh, "But that is unavoidable. You're their first born daughter. I can only imagine how protective your father must be."

I nodded in agreement.

"He is."

"If I had it my way, I would be here alone asking to marry you," he reminded.

I knew he wanted to ask my father's permission, the way he was raised but I wanted to be there especially because this was a sensitive situation.

Well, it was now or never. At the moment, I would have preferred never.

I hesitantly opened the door and stepped inside with Micah following me. I glanced around my tidy childhood home suddenly very aware of how small it must feel to him. He was accustomed to castles and I had shared a room my entire life.

"Hey!" My mom greeted enthusiastically as she walked from the kitchen to greet us.

"Hi, Mom. Um, this is Micah," I said, highly uncomfortable, as I motioned to him.

He offered that award-winning smile and handshake to her which she took. Judging by the dazed look in her eyes she wasn't expecting me to bring someone like him home. Truth be told, if he wasn't my mate he would have no business being with me. He was probably the wealthiest man on the face of the planet, king of the vampires, generous, and drop dead gorgeous. Micah was certainly one of a kind.

"It's nice to meet you," she managed to choke out.

"You as well," he responded still holding that smile.

My dad finally made an appearance and examined Micah skeptically. I knew he would be difficult to win over but he needed to understand this wasn't about him. This was about me and what I wanted.

"Dad, this is Micah," I said.

They shook hands and exchanged a quick greeting. My father was never one for extensive, over the top things and Micah seemed to pick up on that.

My mom led us to the living room and sat opposite of us on the love seat with my dad. To say this would be difficult was an awful understatement.

"So what is this about?" She asked curiously.

I looked to Micah for a moment but he only offered me a reassuring smile.

"I, um... I," I couldn't get the words out of my mouth. I was so nervous that I couldn't even form a proper sentence.

"I would like to ask your permission to marry Emma," Micah said confidently.

The room froze at his question. I swear I would have heard a pin drop on a pillow in that moment.