23

Micah and I waited in his office until the doctor was escorted in by Allan. The doctor was a burly man with skin the color of mocha and deep set frown lines. I knew he was vampire but he appeared much older than any I had seen.

"Your Majesties," he greeted us with a formal bow.

"Thank you for coming on such short notice," Micah said, "This is Emma, my fiancé."

He greeted me with a separate bow that I felt was unnecessary but I should probably become accustomed to. People treated me differently because of Micah. They walked on eggshells around me which was something I didn't want. I never wanted to have people feel like I needed to be on a pedestal but I guess that came with being royal.

"What seems to be the problem?" He asked in a deep, baritone voice.

"Before we go into that, we must insist on your full confidentiality. This matter is very private and will not be released to the public until this war is under control," Micah informed the man.

"I understand, Your Majesty."

Micah nodded once and looked to me to go on. I absently touched my stomach, "I might be pregnant."

What I thought were deep frown lines on his aged face were actually deep laugh lines. He smiled, a jolly, bright grin at the mention of my alleged pregnancy.

"Congratulations, Princess! Lets see how far along you are."

He walked over to me and placed his large hand on my small stomach and felt around. He put a stethoscope to the lump in my stomach a smiled widely as he nodded his head.

"You are most certainly pregnant. You see, Princess, when a vampire woman becomes pregnant, a tough wall-similar to the human amniotic sack-is built around the baby to protect both baby and mother. Over the course of about thirty-five days, the wall around the baby thickens and that is how we can tell how far along you are. Accuracy with these pregnancies is crucial because we must perform a Caesarian section by the thirty-fifth day or we risk harm to mother and child."

"So what can I expect?"

"Oh, similar symptoms to a human pregnancy. You're about fifteen days along. Have you felt nauseous lately?"

I nodded, "It started two days ago."

"Good, good. You'll need to feed more, a couple times a day and after next week I want you off your feet until we deliver," the doctor said, "Your Majesty, may I make a suggestion?"

Micah nodded once in allowance.

"I think it would be wise if I stayed on the premises to avoid anyone making speculations of my constant visits."

"That would be wise. Allan," Micah called.

Almost instantly, Micah's loyal butler appeared at the office door waiting for Micah's command.

"Will you please set up the doctor in the guest house?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," Allan conceded.

"If you will follow Allan, he will show you to the guest house and we will send someone to pick up your things."

With a bow of his head, the doctor followed Allan out of the office leaving us alone. I tried to gauge Micah's reaction to this but he seemed rather indifferent. It was unnerving to have the father of my child being indifferent to my pregnancy.

"Look, Micah, if you're not sure about this, I don't want to go through with it," I said quietly.

He placed a finger under my chin to force my attention to his eyes.

"I'm worried about you. That's all, love. We are going on lockdown until after you deliver."

"But what about tomorrow?"

He sighed, "As long as you don't mind heavy security, we will still go."

"How heavy?"

"Slightly more than normal," he said offhandedly.

I looked at him skeptically but he simply offered me a heart stopping smile and kissed me gently.

"I love you, Emma, and I couldn't be happier about this," he said as he trailed a finger down my stomach, "But, we will need to move up the wedding now."

I nodded in agreement, "My parents would have a heart attack if they knew I was pregnant before marrying you."

"Tonight?" He asked.

"Tonight," I confirmed.

I didn't want to wait any longer. There was no point in waiting and if we wanted to have a larger, more public ceremony later, we would but I didn't need that. I only needed him.

"Would you like to give your family a call?" He asked.

I nodded hesitantly. I wanted them here with me but I didn't think they wanted to talk to me yet. I knew Jenna would be here in a heartbeat but there was something about wanting my mother to be part of this experience that I just couldn't shake.

"Your Majesty, you have a call," Hannah interrupted.

"Thank you," he said dismissively.

He walked over to his desk and picked up the phone, "Hello?"

A look of shock crossed his face before he sat behind his desk and listened to whomever was on the other end.

"She is," he said as he looked at me before pressing a button and placing the phone back on the receiver.

"Go ahead," Micah prompted the caller.

"Emma?" My father asked.

I took a step towards the desk and sat on the thick leather chair, "I'm here, Dad."

"We wanted to talk to you about what happened," he said.

"Okay," I said carefully.

"We want you to know that while it came as a life altering confession, we still love you and support you regardless. If Micah is who you want to marry, then we will back you."

"Really?"

"Of course. And we will be there tomorrow, Emmy."

"Um... Actually, I do have something else to tell you."

"What is it?"

"We are getting married tonight," I said. I knew they might be mad but I didn't have a choice.

"Tonight?" My mom asked.

"Yeah...I'll explain everything in person."

"What time should we be there?" My dad asked.

I smiled lightly to myself, "As soon as you can. I want to spend time with you."

"Okay, sweetheart. Just tell us where to go."

Micah told them he would send a driver to pick them up. I knew it was in case they were followed. I knew my family was at risk just as much as we were until this war was resolved or at least contained. The good thing was the witches were now on our side so that was one less thing to worry about.

"Well that was unexpected," Micah said, "Does that make you feel better?"

"Definitely. That is until I have to tell them I'm pregnant."

Micah laughed lightly, "I have a feeling that is going to be a difficult conversation for us but it will be fine. I need to start making arrangements for tonight and you should have Allan prepare more guest rooms."

I had never asked Allan to do anything. I wasn't entirely sure he even liked me or would listen to me. I mean, I didn't think he necessarily disliked me but we had only spoken the one time and-

"Where is he, Allan," a demanding female voice asked from down the hall.

I glanced over at Micah, confused by his heavy sigh. He clearly knew to whom the voice belonged but he also looked frustrated.

The office doors were pushed open and standing in the open way was a girl so beautiful, I instantly felt like an ungraceful cow. Her milk chocolate hair hung straight as pins to her petite waist. Her skin had the consistency and color of milk, stretched over the length of her tall frame. She may not have been a giant but she was certainly taller than me and judging by her perfect cheekbones and look of superiority, this was Micah's mother.

"Hello, Mother," Micah said, "I was about to call you."

"The hell you were. You were going to avoid me like the plague," she accused.

Even when she was clearly mad, she was painfully magnificent. Clearly, this is where Micah obtained his perfection.

"I've been preoccupied with the war-"

"That's an excuse. Now, where are your manners? I know I raised you better than this," she prompted.

He sighed, clearly irritated but he wouldn't dare disobey his mother.

"Emma, this is my mother, Jossalyn. This is Emma, my fiancé."

A warm smile kissed her lips as she approached me.

"Let me look at you," she said as she took my hands in hers.

"You are radiant," she said happily.

"Thank you," I said shyly.

I was never one for strangers and I didn't take compliments well but clearly she had no hang ups about it.

Quickly, her expression turned to a scowl but it was directed at Micah.

"How long have you known?" She demanded, clearly angry with him.

"I told you when I found-"

"She's pregnant and you didn't tell me! How could you do this, Micah? You know how badly I want a grandchild and you kept this from me!"

"Relax! We just found out less than an hour ago!"

"And when were you going to tell me you're engaged," she asked, hurt.

Micah exhaled roughly, "I was going to call you. We are getting married tonight. It was a last minute decision. Her family will be here in an hour so please, don't make a scene. They are already uncomfortable with the situation."

She crossed her slender arms and looked away, "Fine but this conversation is not over."