24

From the second my parents walked through the door, they were skeptical of the evening's events. My parents sat in the semi circle of leather chairs in the library with Micah and myself as well as Jossalyn who insisted on being there.

"So what couldn't you tell us over the phone?" My mother asked.

"Um, well.... I'm pregnant."

"You said you weren't," my mother said. I could tell she was extremely disappointed and that killed me but there was nothing I could do about it now.

"I wasn't. I'm fifteen days along. That's why we are getting married tonight."

She sighed, "You could wait a little longer. You won't start showing for awhile."

I shook my head, "This is different. I'll only be pregnant for about a month. That's why it has to be now."

My parents looked confused and sad at the same time. I never wanted to see either expression from them concerning me but I had disappointed them by getting pregnant before I was married. I deserved their disappointment; I earned that much.

"I see," she said quietly, "Well, Emma, you know how we feel about that but I suppose we should put that aside and accept the situation. At least it's with someone that is willing to marry you," she tried to reason.

"I'm not marrying her because she's pregnant," Micah said, "I'm marrying her because I love her."

Everyone in the room fell silent because this really was an awkward situation. His mother was pissed because we didn't tell her and my parents were pissed because of the entire situation.

"Will you at least consider a large ceremony once everything calms down," Jossalyn pleaded.

"If that's what Emma wants," Micah said while looking at me.

I shrugged, "I don't need a big wedding. I'm happy with just this group."

Jossalyn and my mother seemed disappointed at my statement. I suppose they both hoped for the full experience of wedding dress shopping and cakes and flowers but I didn't care for any of that. However, since I had already disappointed everyone else so much, perhaps I could do this one thing for them.

"I mean, I guess it might be nice though to have a big ceremony too," I amended.

Micah tossed me a look that let me know he wasn't buying it but I didn't care. I wasn't doing this for me. I was doing it for them.

Both women instantly perked up at the mention of a full wedding though neither showed over enthusiasm because of the situation.

"Yes, I think that would be best, Emma," my mother said.

"So Micah, where is your father?" My dad asked curiously. It was clear he wasn't being malicious and I knew Micah didn't take any offense to the question which I was thankful for.

"He died in the fourteenth century," Micah answered.

My dad stayed quiet. I'll admit, my parents were far less open minded than I was and hearing exactly how old Micah was would be jarring.

"So how old are you," mad dad asked cautiously.

"Six hundred thirty-four."

I waited for the outburst, the anger from my parents at the extreme age difference but it never came. They sat quietly without passing judgement verbally or with an expression.

I sat, tense, knowing this conversation wasn't over, not by a long shot. My parents would have a separate conversation with me when we were alone and probably try to talk me out of this but there was nothing they could do or say that would change my mind. They should just avoid the fight and let me do what I want. I'm an adult and if this is the decision I want to make, so be it.