Chapter 5

We entered the school and of course the first person I see is Jean. His hair was chestnut and his face looked so much like a horse. I hated him and he hated me. I wasn't in the mood to fight so I said "Jean just leave me alone. I'm not in the mood." But he blocked my way as I started to move past him. "Oh. I get it. Are you afraid?" he chuckled. "Eren. Don't. Just walk past." I heard Armin say but I ignored him. "No. I'm not." My fists were clenching and anger was bubbling inside me. "Then why are you backing down? Because you don't have your sister around? Because you realised you're weak? Because..." then he leaned in and whispered in my ear "mummy and daddy aren't here to save you? They wouldn't be able to even if they were here. Your dad was never around and your mother was too week to do anything. Oh wait I forgot. They couldn't come here even if they wanted to. Because they're dead." That's it. He went way to far. I took my fist and punched in face, kneeing him in the stomach causing him to fall on the ground. Then I kicked him continually saying between kicks "Don't. You. Fucking. Dare. Talk. About. My. Parents. Like. That. Again." Armin tried to pull me back but anger was taking over and I lost it. That's when I pulled him from the hair and looked into his eyes. "I swear to god then next time you talk to me like that I will kill you." And with that, I punched him hard again in the face, leaving him bleeding on the floor in pain.
"Don't you think you went a bit far Eren?" Armin said looking scared. I was less angry having taken my anger out on Jean but I replied "Too far? I went too far?! What about him?!!"
"But he isn't the one who's going to get suspended now is he? You could even get expelled." I couldn't care less. He talked badly about my parents. I couldn't just let that slide. But now I was going to get into big trouble. I walked into my first class and 30 minutes into the lesson, the headteacher came in asking for me. "Shit" I muttered to myself as I got up and walked to him. "Come with me Eren." He said as I followed him into his office. I sat down opposite him. Long story short I was getting suspended. Not expelled thank god, because Jean was asking for the fight but suspended for two months. Personally I didn't mind getting two months off school. It was Mikasa's reaction I was afraid of. I looked at the time. It was 9:30am. I had to go home but I wasn't in the mood. I wanted to go to my spot. I was hoping I would be alone with my thoughts that always managed to entertain me. I didn't feel like seeing Levi (if that's his name). I couldn't handle the confusion and mixed feelings. I just needed to be alone. So I went and decided to stay there for the day. As I arrived I lay in my usual spot. I looked over the river/stream or whatever it was and couldn't help wondering what was on the other side. The curiosity was creeping into my mind until I realised I barely knew anything about this side. I walked up the side of the river, enjoying the view, the wildlife around me. I came to find a bridge. It was an arched, stone structure which looked like it had just been cleaned. Like it was really clean. The stones were practically shining in the sunlight. I don't know why but I didn't want to get it dirty. I took my shoes and socks off and put them near the bridge. I walked into the middle of it and leaned over the metal bars which were also arched, preventing me from falling over the edge and into the river. They were also spotless and it hurt to look at them for the sun was beaming down on them. The view really was amazing. I could just stay there all day. I checked the time. It was 10:00. I had 10 hours before I had to go home so I could stay here for as long as I wanted. I slid down and leaned against the thin skinny bars as the started to dig into my back. I didn't care. I just stared through the ones on the other side, watching the river flow. It was calming and soon I felt myself drifting asleep. Knowing it would hurt my back to fall asleep on the bars, I used my bag as a pillow and lay on the floor of the bridge. It was peaceful and I knew a bridge wasn't the best place to fall asleep but it was perfect for me. And no one was around anyway so it's not like anyone would use the bridge. Shortly afterwards I felt myself fall into a dreamless sleep.

"Oi. Brat. Wake up. You're dirtying the bridge." Was the thing I woke up to. I checked my watch. It was 2:00pm. Four hours? I was out for four hours?! Wow. I looked up to see Levi standing over me. "Oh. It's you." I said, sitting up. "Ow." I rubbed my head and back. They hurt a lot.
"Whatever brat."
"I'm not a brat."
"You're on the bridge and getting it dirty. Get off." I couldn't be bothered to fight so I got up and started to walk to my shoes. The floor was really warm as the sun had been shining on it for ages. This hurt and I winced as I started to walk, hoping Levi wouldn't see. I took my shoes and started to put them on.
"Was it you who cleaned it then?" I asked. He just stared at me blankly before replying "Yes. And that's a problem because..."
"I never said it was a problem. It was just really clean and I was curious about who cleaned it." I said, looking down, taking as kind as possible to put my shoes on to avoid eye contact with him.
"Ok...if you really must know then yes. It was me. And you've dirtied it." He sighed, annoyed, and left. I finished tying my shoes and got up. What's his problem? He always looks so bored and acts like an ass every time we meet. But why does he feel important? I moaned loudly in frustration and felt my stomach rumble. I just realised I hadn't had lunch. I was hungry but didn't have anything to eat. I didn't want to leave but there was no food around. I usually had school lunch so I didn't have any food with me. Even more frustrated I finally decided to stay for a little longer, not standing on the bridge but grabbing a stick and sitting at the edge of the river bank, waving it in the water thinking. I heard someone come back. I knew it was him. But what he was with was unexpected. He had cleaning tools and products with him. I sat there surprised. Then he said "Oi. Brat. You're going to help me clean this for you were the one who made it dirty."
"And I why would I do that?" I said, gaining some energy and determination. I didn't want to clean that bridge. I just wanted to relax. And I was hungry.
"Because there isn't a river separating us this time meaning I could beat you into a pulp."
"Fiiiine!" I groaned as I walked to the bridge, taking my shoes off before I crossed.
"You took your shoes off." He said. I didn't want him to beat me. It seemed like something he might do if I mess up. "I-I j-just thought it was a natural thing to do. Since we are cleaning it I didn't want to make it more dirty..." I trailed off.
"Hmm." He said, getting a sponge and dipping it into the bucket of soapy water. I took a sponge and cleaned with him, making sure that it was as clean as I saw it. I scrubbed, re-dipping my sponge into the soapy liquid. Levi would occasionally look at my work and tell me to do it again. I cleaned my half at least 5 times. Afterwards I was worn out. We polished the bridge, drying it. I stood up to look at the end result. It looked good. Better than it did when I saw it. I had a question though. "What's the point of cleaning this bridge if it's just going to get dirty by natural causes?"
"None of your damn businesses brat." Then he stood up and hesitated before saying, just loud enough for me to hear "thank you. For helping me." I was shocked. Did he actually say 'thanks you?' This was amazing. He had been an ass but this sort of made up for it even if it was only a thank you. I wanted to hear him say it again. "Sorry? I didn't get that. Could you say that again?"
"No! You should've been listening. I'm not saying it again." I did a fake pout hoping that he'd say it again. He looked at me then looked away again before saying a little louder "I said thank you." This made me smile as I got up. I know it was one little thing. I mean he had no right not to thank me but still. It made me happy. I walked to the other bridge slipping on my shoes before saying "No problem." I smiled at him not getting one back, which I expected, and started to walk away. For some reason I enjoyed that. Yes he kept pestering me. Yes he made me clean it 5 times but thinking about it made me feel warm inside. I wasn't falling for him. He just started to grow on me a little. I decided to ignore all the connections I felt with him. The fact that he was important and all that crap. It only confused me. I wanted to get to know him and I wanted him to want the same with me. I had a feeling that things were going to get better. That's when realised I was starving and had to get something to eat and with that, I left the forest.
(AN: cliff hanger... kind of.... not really but there's more to come so don't worry. Thanks for reading.)