Chapter 2

One Fine Day:

Chapter 2:

Mai didn't get a chance to speak to Naru properly until the end of the day. He was infuriatingly annoying in their afternoon lessons causing her to think that he could be joking about joining their club. She found him waiting outside in the corridor with Keiko and Michiru when she left the classroom.

"Mai-chan, he's serious about joining," Michiru immediately told her.

"Did you explain that we aren't a proper club and that we don't get any funding?"

Michiru nodded. "He still wants to join."

Mai switched her attention to Kazuya Shibuya. "Shibuya-san, are you completely sure that you want to join? You could join a more proper club if you want."

"I want to join your club and I'm serious. What days do you meet on?" he answered.

"Monday, Wednesday and Friday in the audiovisual room," Keiko informed him. "Today is Tuesday so we aren't doing it today. Mai has to do something and we need time to prepare stories."

Mai checked her watch and remembered that she had better things to do than deduce Kazuya Shibuya's motives for joining their club. She said good bye and hurried off to the supermarket.

"Where is she going?" Naru asked curiously.

"Shopping. She lives alone so she can't forget to do it," Keiko explained.

Naru recalled that unlike in England, students were allowed to live by themselves in Japan. As his mother worried about him too much and had a fear that his PK would get out of control, she sent a Japanese speaking member of SPR with him to keep an eye on him. Despite her worries she had still sent him to Japan though. Perhaps if he mentioned to her that he had joined a club, she would explain her reasons - it had been another motive for him to join

"Her parents died when she was young so she has to look after herself," Michiru added. "Despite everything she is still a kind and cheerful person."

He felt an ounce of sympathy towards her as he was in a similar position, only he and Gene had ended up in an orphanage before being adopted by their current foster parents.

"I see."

His guardian, Lin was waiting to pick him up in a black van outside the school. Conversations between Lin and Naru were extremely limited most of the time unless they were working on a case.

"Luella called earlier and she wants to hear from you as soon as possible," Lin said the moment Naru buckled his seatbelt.

"As expected," Naru sighed. "Has Gene made any contact?"

"No," Lin replied shortly. "Did you have a fight before you left?"

"It was a light disagreement because he was refusing to tell me important information."

They didn't speak again until they reached the apartment they were renting and Lin handed Naru the phone, reminding him to call his mother. He dialled the number and his mother eagerly picked up on the first ring.

"Noll, how did your first day of school go? Was it has bad as you expected?"

He thought back to the events of his first day.

"It was not too terrible," he said truthfully. "I joined a club."

"Really?" his mother didn't sound as surprised as he had been expecting. "That's good. It's not a sports club is it?"

"Mum, of course it is not. I would never join anything like that willingly. You know what my stamina is like."

He deposited his bag which was full of homework on the floor as he spoke and boiled the kettle.