Chapter 17

One Fine Day:

Chapter 17:

Mai noted that Naru had a permanent scowl for the afternoon lessons. She had feeling she knew why. Immediately after announcing he knew what the nine meant and complained that he needed Yasuhara help he had sprinted off, presumably to request something from Yasuhara.

She gained an opportunity to ask him when the teacher for the next lesson was late in arriving.

"Naru, did you ask Yasuhara-senpai for what you needed?" she whispered.

The answer was clear by the way Naru's scowl became more prominent.

"Did he ask for something in return?"

There was a nod.

"Was it something that you don't want to do?"

"It has never crossed my mind to do something like that and I have no experience in that area," the narcissist groaned as he replayed the conversation with Yasuhara in his mind.

"I will do all those things for you. However one of them is definitely rule breaking so I will want something in return," Yasuhara informed him primly.

Naru bit his lip. The case would be impossible to solve without the information he required unless they went for the Mai as bait plan and he didn't want to endanger her.

"What do you want in return?"

Yasuhara stroked his chin and smirked. "Naru-chan, I want you to something nice for Mai-chan."

That was a surprise. He was momentarily lost for words.

"I am nice to Mai!" he protested. "I saved her from falling down a well. Does that not count?"

The student president grimaced. "I suppose that does count. That said, it doesn't compensate for all the times you were mean to her."

"What counts as something nice?" Naru sighed in defeat.

"It could be anything. Tell her she looks pretty, take her out for a meal, carry her school bag for her."

Valiantly Naru fought against the heat he could feel rising in his face. The idea of telling Mai she looked pretty was mortifying. She would think he had gone mental. Not that he didn't think she looked pretty... What did he just think? He wasn't interested in things like that.

"I will do it. It might just take a while," he said reluctantly. "Can you start doing what I asked of you first?"

Yasuhara laid a hand on his shoulder. To anyone else it would have looked comforting, but to Naru it seemed condescending.

"It's all right, I understand Naru-chan. Just do it within a week."

"What was it?" Mai questioned eagerly. "I'll keep it a secret."

"I-"

As he was about to say an embarrassing line and get the ordeal of wondering what to do over with, the teacher walked in and the class lapsed into silence. Naru closed his mouth, he would have to do something later on.

***

When Lin picked him up after school, Naru could tell from the look on his face that the pill had been something significant. The other half of the look indicated that he had some questions to ask about the case. Admittedly he had withheld a lot of information from the omnouji so he wouldn't worry and interfere.

"Noll, where did you find the pill?"

"Mai found it in the head of a dinosaur in the science lab," he answered. "Have you found out what it is?"