Chapter 13

One Fine Day:

Chapter 13:

After their morning lessons Naru followed Mai, Keiko and Michiru to a colourful looking cafe twenty minutes away from the school. The school doctor and the music teacher were unable to join them due to a teacher meeting at the school.

Yasuhara was already there waiting for them at a large table in a secluded corner. Mai bounded happily towards him and took the seat next to him. Naturally Naru took the one on her other side.

"Mai-chan! They still do the drink you love here," the student president said happily.

Naru picked up a menu and ran his eyes down it. If Yasuhara was paying he would get something a little more expensive than usual. The more expensive items were completely unrecognisable so he played it safe with a cup of Darjeeling.

Once everyone had their order Yasuhara got down to business. In between him and Naru, Mai was contentedly drinking a summer fruits smoothie which Naru took note of for a reason unknown to him. He played it off as taking notice of a way to keep Mai quiet and happy.

"I asked around my family and their friends and gleaned some things. One of the most interesting things is the missing people."

At the mention of missing people Naru's mind flicked back to the vision he had seen with his psychometry.

"Missing people?" Keiko asked.

The student president produced a notebook and found the relevant page.

"There's four missing students in the past 26 years. They were believed to have run away or committed suicide. The only thing known is that they never returned home after school and their bodies have never been found anywhere."

Naru frowned. Things were starting to fit together like a puzzle although he didn't have all the pieces yet.

"Do you have their names?" he enquired and pulled out his own notebook and pen.

"John Brown, Masako Hara, Chiaki Kasai and Tomoaki Sakauchi. I've heard some interesting stories about them."

"What sort of stories?" Mai questioned fearfully.

Yasuhara beamed at her. "Don't be so scared Mai-chan. You can use them for ghost stories after you've finished investigating this."

Mai looked at him doubtfully. Were they ever going to finish investigating the Seven Wonders? They had yet to see anything besides the bent spoons that matched the stories.

"According to rumour it's Masako Hara's reflection in the girls' toilets and John Brown's body was the thirteenth stair after someone stepped on it in the dark and then his body was encased in stone to become the statue outside," Yasuhara said in a low voice.

Naru's interest was caught. Now he was starting to gain some real information about the case. Hopefully it would go somewhere.

Yasuhara continued on as soon as Naru's notetaking had caught up.

"Chiaki Kasai is supposed to be the girl hanging herself in the Biology lab and it's Sakauchi's severed hand in the prep room."

Mai took a long sip of her smoothie and tried not to visualise any of those things. It was all too easy to picture them when she had been to the places mentioned.

"With those rumours it's no surprise that parents got worried and the school house was closed down," Keiko commented.

A theory began to swirl around in Naru's mind. The culprit could have killed those four students for reasons currently unknown and the school principal had closed down the school house to cover it up.