Chapter 15

One Fine Day:

Chapter 15:

Naru was taken by surprise when Mai grinned at him widely the moment he stepped into the classroom. He took that to mean she had good news for him. He had requested her to try to dream about the case two days before for several reasons. He wanted to see if she could, if she would see the future or the past and if she needed to receive training. Information that would help solve the mystery would be a pleasant bonus.

"I had a very useful dream," she announced triumphantly.

"That is good," Naru answered as he sat down in his seat next to her. "Can you remember the details? Remembering is often the harder part."

Mai tapped the flower patterned notebook lying on top of her school books.

"I was worried about that too so I wrote it down. Is it all right to tell you right now?"

The narcissist glanced around the nearly full classroom. The positioning of desks in classrooms was not designed for having private conversations. People might not be listening now, but once they started mentioning the names of teachers, they might start automatically listening in.

"No. We can go to the roof at lunch to talk about it before we meet after school," he said and changed the subject to homework and a kanji character he had been having trouble with.

The possible contents of Mai's dream occupied his mind all morning and she had never been so glad that the lunch break started when it did. He waited outside the classroom whilst Mai told Keiko and Michiru that she wouldn't be joining them.

"Those two were strangely happy about not being invited," Mai commented when she joined him. "They are usually interested in my dreams too."

Naru spared a moment to think about it before his mind moved onto something more important.

"We need to ask the student president for the key next."

Mai was the one to peep into the corresponding third year classroom and ask to talk to the student president. After the message was dispatched Yasuhara came out the classroom.

"Mai-chan, Shibuya-kun, why are you two here?"

"I wish to request the key to the roof," Naru said, foreseeing that Yasuhara wasn't going to give it to him without being annoying.

"I can't give it to you if you are planning on having a romantic rendezvous there with Mai-chan," Yasuhara gasped theatrically. "I'm a responsible student president."

Fortunately for Naru's patience Mai took over and poked Yasuhara in the side.

"Be serious, it's related to the case."

Yasuhara laughed. "Of course it is. I was only joking. One day I will be able to tell a joke that will even make Shibuya-kun crack a smile."

"That is not today," Naru scowled. Sometimes Yasuhara reminded him of the prankster side of his twin which was annoying at the same time as being pleasantly familiar. He had never enjoyed being the target of Gene's practical jokes though.

"You wound my heart," the student president side. "How can someone with such a beautiful face be so cold?"

Mai's quick eyes caught Naru's jaw tightening and she knew if she didn't get the key from Yasuhara soon Naru was going to blow.

"Yasuhara-senpai, the key," she reminded him.

He fished a key ring full of different keys out his pocket and thumbed through all of them until he found a small metal one which he detached from the ring and handed to Mai. Despite himself Naru was impressed with the selection of keys.