Chapter 4

One Fine Day:

Chapter 4:

Mai visited Yasuhara, the bespectacled student president at lunchtime to arrange a meeting with everyone in the club to discuss the change in the club activities. He insisted on a clandestine meeting on the roof which was actually banned for students, yet he had a key. Mai had always wondered how he had managed to get hold of it.

"So, Mai-chan told me that you all wish to change the focus of the club," Yasuhara began once they were standing around in a circle on the rooftop. Naru was partially hidden behind Keiko so his beauty could be revealed if Yasuhara refused.

"That is true. We wish to investigate the mysteries of the school," Michiru explained.

Yasuhara's glasses glinted with light and he was silent for a few moments whilst everyone else waited with bated breath. Then he reached out and grasped Mai's hand.

"That so sounds exciting!" he exclaimed. "Can I join in too?"

Naru glared at Yasuhara's hand. Surely it was improper for a student president to be touching a first year like that? It wasn't that he was jealous, he was just not sure that it was appropriate. Japanese customs were sometimes difficult to understand.

"Shouldn't you be studying for your university entrance exams?" he interjected.

Yasuhara locked eyes with him for the first time. Naru stepped back unconsciously at the intensity of his gaze.

"Mai-chan, is this your new member?"

"I am," Naru answered. "Do you really have time to be the student president and study for exams?"

The brunette male pouted. "I suppose not. I can always pop in to help if you need me."

"Of course," Mai grinned which irked Naru.

Yasuhara seemed to remember his responsibilities as the student president and cleared his throat to deliver a lecture.

"I take it that you will be operating outside your normal hours and these hours will be late. Therefore if you all start arriving late to school or your grades slip, I will no longer permit your club to run and I will inform the teachers. Is that clear?"

They all nodded in agreement, everyone understanding his speech. Personally Naru was not too concerned about his grades or his attendance. He was too smart for that and his grades were not a concern as he was not intending on staying at high school for the following year. He had also become accustomed to limited amounts of sleep on cases before so he was not worried about that. He was more concerned about Mai and the others, he didn't want to the club to be shut down before they had finished investigating.

"Do you know any of the mysteries?" Mai asked Yasuhara as they walked down the stairs from the roof.

"I think there is one related to the girls' toilets on the third floor."

The next person they talked to was the music teacher Takigawa after school had ended. Naru had not been sure what to expect when Mai had told him he was a part time monk with a ponytail. He had never seen anyone look so unlike a monk than Takigawa. He greeted Mai warmly and the others politely.

It appeared that Mai could make friends with anyone without really trying. For a moment Naru was envious as he had never made any friends before. Then he remembered that his twin had been sufficient company and everyone else his age was below him in intelligence anyway.

Takigawa became guarded immediately when Mai asked him about the Seven Wonders of the school, a contrast to his earlier demeanour towards her. He folded his arms and gazed at them sternly.