Chapter 12

One Fine Day:

Chapter 12:

"It's a hitogata," Naru proclaimed once everyone was gathered around the well. "Mai, should I explain for your benefit?"

"How kind of you," Mai scowled. "It's not just me, Keiko-chan and Michiru-chan don't know either."

"The shape of the hitogata represents the person being cursed and is used like a voodoo doll," Naru explained.

"It does explain why Taniyama-chan suddenly started being targeted," Bou-san agreed and took a closer look. "I wonder why it's her."

Strangely enough Mai wanted to know too. Investigating the Seven Wonders had never been her idea and she ended up being targeted for it. Naru was the ringleader and Bou-san to an extent- Naru always seemed to know what to do. Why did it have to be her?

"Before you start discussing that, perhaps you should consider that the spirit can still come back as long as that thing is intact," Ayako interrupted. "Taniyama-san lives alone and I don't think she wants the spirit to return whilst she is on her own."

Mai shook at the thought of the spirit returning whilst she was alone in her bedroom in the dark. Admittedly she had been taught how to get rid of it, but she wanted to avoid seeing it in the first place.

"Of course," Bou-san said. "Sorry, Taniyama-san. It's much more important to protect you. We need to take a photo of it first before we destroy it. Then it will stop bothering you."

"That would be much appreciated," Naru said and closed the conversation. "It's getting late now, we can meet up and discuss everything properly tomorrow."

Lin picked him up once everyone else had departed and for some reason was in a bad mood. He didn't even greet him which was unusual behaviour. The omnouji normally asked if he had solved the case every time he picked him up. Lin only spoke when they returned to the apartment.

"You did something stupidly dangerous tonight, did you not?"

Naru jerked in surprise. "How did you know?"

He realised as he said that he had given himself away and Lin narrowed his eyes.

"Perhaps I should join your team of investigators."

The thought of his bodyguard meeting the monk and priestess didn't feel right to Naru. Lin's personality would clash with the teachers even more than his did.

"No. I will not do anything irresponsible again," he promised fervently to avoid Lin joining the investigation. "The dangerous part is over with now."

"If you say so," Lin looked sceptical of his promise. "What did actually happen?"

Naru blinked. "Don't you know what happened?"

Lin shook his head with a slight amused smile on his face. "I sensed you had done something you shouldn't have done so I tricked you into admitting it."

The narcissist sighed. It was difficult to get things past him. He should have known that Lin would detect that he was feeling conflicted over using his PK to save Mai. Undoubtedly she would have been gravely injured if she had fell and he was convinced Gene was in Japan so he could use it without a negative consequence on his body. He had also felt Gene exchange power with him although he hadn't needed it as it only took a small amount of PK. Therefore Gene was certainly nearby in Japan. The problem was that Gene was not supposed to be in Japan.

He gave Lin a summary of the case so far, making sure to leave out the death he had seen with his psychometry. If Lin found out that a death was involved he would ban him from investigating or insist on joining in. Naru didn't want either option.