ANTECEDENT: CHAPTER 13

MIDNIGHT was finally discharged from the hospital at midnight, and despite their conversation being just as awkward as the last, Happy insisted on dragging him around and conversing with him as much as possible. She just wanted to connect to Midnight, so he wouldn't be alone anymore.

Midnight's expression may not reveal it, but he felt a deep sense of gratitude towards Happy. He only gets to experience a joyride like this with his big brother, now he was experiencing it with Happy, who could elicit the same emotion he had for his big brother.

While not as powerful as his bond with his big brother, it held the same feeling.

"Is there any you want to visit or things you want to buy?" Happy asked. She was in the passenger seat while Midnight was in the backseat. Silvanus was their driver.

Midnight shook his head to answer Happy.

"Do you want to buy food for Loki?" Happy asked again.

"No. Loki still has so many cat foods in my room."

Anyone who heard Midnight's flat, emotionless voice would immediately stop talking to him, but not Happy. She kept going.

"How about we buy some pet related stuff?"

Midnight was ready to shake his head, but then he saw the sincerity and anticipation in Happy's eyes. He found himself nodding. "Hmm. Let's do that."

Seeing Happy pleased that he agreed, he was surprised to find out that he didn't dislike it.

Midnight looked outside the car's window.

Is this what it feels like to have a little sister? He recalled hearing a researcher in the lab talk about having their sister and how they like making their sister happy. Was this it?

Midnight genuinely did not know. With his mother gone, he poured all his emotions into his big brother, unconcerned about anyone else. He was uncertain if it was possible to feel something towards other people, as his entire life had been spent with only his big brother by his side.

Feeling bothered, he reached into his pocket and pulled out his cellphone, hoping to distract himself. After aimlessly opening and closing apps, he stumbled into the 'Alone' app.

It had been days since he opened this app. Recalling his promise to the two old men in the house and to Silvanus, he didn't close the app and instead stayed, reading weird posts and comment.

Post (TooLazyToName): I'd been thinking of shooting someone today and I finally let my intrusive thoughts win. I shoot my roommate.

Update: He's still alive. Sad.

Post (404UsernameNotFound): I can't accept that my second personality is much cooler than me, the original.

Post (TickledP1nks): My butt hurts.

Post (IDontCarrotAll): Why are the posts in this app weird?

Midnight agreed with IDontCarrotAll, so he liked the post and then his gaze settled on the small number one on top of the message icon.

Someone sent him a message.

Frowning, he tapped the messages and saw one message from GodFavoredMe.

Midnight's frown deepened when he remembered who this was. Reluctantly, he opened this person's message.

GodFavoredMe: Are you okay?

GodFavoredMe: Do you want someone to talk to? I'm a good listener. Wanna try?