Chapter 5- The Hunt

"Hey, where you going?"

"Out."

_____________________________________________________________________________

Daryl's POV

I pack up a backpack full of knives, water, and a blanket as I tell Carol where I'm going. I grab my crossbow and my arrows as well. I walk up to Rick, my face hiding any trace of emotion.

"I'm goin' huntin'.," I say without asking for his permission. Rick stares at me for a moment but nods his head, letting me go without any trouble. Carl opens the gates, letting me out of the prison. Another man from the group of Woodbury wusses opens the outside gate, letting me out and away from the safety of the prison.

I head into the forest, shooting any flesh devouring walkers right between the eyes who get too close to me. I pull out the arrows, blood splashing out every time. Walkers deserve to die. They are nothing but a waste of flesh. It doesn't matter if they were once human before. What matters is survival.

"Damn bastards," I say, reloading my crossbow. "Waste of my time." As I begin walking into the forest, I begin to think about my reason for going out here. Finding the Governor isn't going to be easy. Maybe that was just some dumb excuse so I could get myself out here.

"Hey baby brother!," a raspy voice says, coming out of nowhere. I ignore the voice, knowing it's just in my head. It can't be Merle. I had to put him down myself.

"Aw, why not come over and give your big bro a hug?," the voice continues, tempting me to turn around.

"Damn Merle, I know you aren't there!," I say, a temper beginning to boil up inside me. I hear the voice chuckle, and this makes me burst out with rage. I strap my crossbow around my shoulder and pull out my knife. I turn around, my arm raised in the air, ready to stab the character my mind keeps wanting me to see.

"No, wait!," a squeamish voice says as she holds up her hands in fear.

"The hell Oliver! What are you doing out here!," I scream, my anger to the max. Why would this weak wuss be out here anyways.

"I saw you leave so I decided to follow you. What are you doing out here though?," she admits and asks, looking down at her flats, which aren't the best footwear in a disease outbreak like this.

"Lookin' for that damn governor of yours.," I hiss, not appreciating her presence.

"First of all, he's not our leader anymore! And second of all, who's Merle?," she asks sincerely, looking at me in the eyes.

"Well y'all were sure dumb enough to follow him in the first place. And none of your damn business, that's who!," I shout, turning around to walk away. These new people in the group are weak. They only drag us down. Sure a few of them can manage, but there are too many people like Oliver over here.

"Wait!," she squeals, her annoying voice driving me nuts. I hear her footsteps crunch the leaves on the floor. I continue to wonder how she's still alive in this world. "Where are you going?"

"Away from you.," I retort, not bother to turn around and face her as she keeps grabbing my left shoulder in an attempt to stop me. Weakling. Even that wimp Nicole is stronger than her.

"Can't I just come with you? I wont be a bother.," she offers, finally making me stop and look at her, my blue eyes full of hate.

"And stomp so all the walkers in the world can hear you? Yeah, no thanks.," I say, rejecting her offer. She needs to leave. I continue to walk, happy to not hear her loud footsteps anymore. Finally she got the message.